1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Fable known as The PACE Trial
Graham, Janelle and Bob, have once again excelled themselves with their latest take on the 'poisoned apple' that was the PACE Trial...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Why is potassium supplementation needed in methylation treatmt?

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by richvank, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    What if I'm taking a capsule with food? Is that a bad idea? I've been doing that for the past few weeks and I'm still alive.:rolleyes: I'm joking of course. If it's dangerous I'll stop ASAP.

NOW Foods has pretty good prices on the ones you mentioned (gluconate and chloride. Purebulk.com sells potassium citrate along with a few other types of potassium. Potassium bicarbonate is sold at nuts.com but they charge a lot for shipping unless your'e planning on buying a lot of stuff so maybe there's better sources for that type.
    Crux likes this.
  2. Crux

Crux Senior Member

USA
    Hi Lotus;
    I forgot, yes, it's a great idea to take it with food. It's probably the best way. ( I'm too used to the powder/water method).
    I use to buy from pure bulk, and I still have potassium chloride and pot. citrate from them, but NOW is much less costly. I still have alot of potassium bicarbonate I bought from LD Carlson, a wine and beer making supply company. I don't remember if the price was the best, though.

If stomach acid is low, the pot. bicarb. can neutralize it too much, so I don't take it anymore, but I remember it did help pain after exercise. ( maybe it lessened lactic acid) I believe it would be better to take potassium bicarb. on an empty stomach.

The pot. chloride is good with food if stomach acid is low.
    I generally take the gluconate, but many prefer the citrate type.
  3. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    Crux
    Someone said something about Citrate being alkaline. I'm not sure if that's why people prefer it though. Is there a particular reason why you like gluconate?
  4. Crux

Crux Senior Member

USA
    Lotus97;
    Yes, when tested with PH paper, ( which is pretty accurate ), potassium citrate is more alkaline,~8. But one thing I keep meaning to look up is , what happens when the compound is denatured in the body? Does the potassium form different bonds,and do the citrates go off and do other business? ( These are some of the questions that roil through my nerdy- wanna- be brains.)
    There was a time when the potassium citrate solution stung my oversensitive gums. So, I stuck with the gluconate. It doesn't bother me anymore.
    All I know is that citrates are needed for the kreb's cycle, and other good metabolic stuff.
    Gluconate.... I forget, ( I'll look this up....again)

Now I like the potassium gluconate because it's cheap and easy to find, sorry, not a good sciency reason!
  5. triffid113

triffid113 Day of the Square Peg

Michigan
    fyi my father had a heart attack last week (at the cardiac unit at the hospital - yay! they recovered him) and I was reading about magnesium because he has a horrible twitch that they simply ignore but we think had to do with the electrolyte problem. AHA has a study which says that serum magnesium has no bearing on the magnesium level in the atria of the heart but that epithelial magnesium DOES correlate (but they don't measure that - VERY frustrating). So I was reading about supplementing magnesium for the heart and read that it needs to be done with potassium as it can also cause low potassium. So..... I got the impression that when you correct many deficiencies you open up biochemical pathways that previously were not functioning and may of those pathways need potassium. So it is probably something to watch for whenever supplementing.

This is all very odd to me because I have been used to having electrolyte problems my whole life and always assumed they were due to blood sugar issues (which does make you lose LOTS of potassium), but now I wonder if it's just from being low in something and then repleting it, etc.

Triff

Be careful though ... if you have a urinary tract infection you cannot excrete potassium properly and it can build up. Do not even think of supplementing it then!
    EMilo likes this.
  6. Crux

Crux Senior Member

USA
    triffid113
    Hi triff;
    I'm glad your father has recovered. He has a great advocate in you! I've read some peoples' accounts of needing more potassium when taking higher dose magnesium. ( forget why)

Your father's twitches could be low potassium related, they have been with me.

In the hospital, they treat hypokalemia with potassium chloride,IV, and with low magnesium, they use magnesium chloride,IV. Even though potassium and magnesium are very alkaline, the addition of chlorides to the compounds adds too much acid to the mix. This can cause alot of pain, tissue damage, etc.

It's true that potassium wasting can occur when blood glucose is high from elevated cortisol.
  7. howirecovered

howirecovered Senior Member

i've been titrating up potassium while on Freddd's protocol (at 2,700 mg now) and am trying to assemble as much information about potassium as I can at http://howirecovered.com/understanding-potassium - would be interested to hear more people's experience with it.

I've just started using potassium bicarbonate (replacing sodium bicarbonate for alkalinization)...
  8. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
  9. pone

pone

Great post and thanks for that. Do you have a link to any of that research?

Many labs have a "Potassium RBC" test that is separate from Potassium Serum. That is *supposed to* show you potassium levels inside of the blood cell. Why wouldn't you just use that test instead of this very intricate procedure to extrapolate based on potassium radioactive half-life?

And as a mega-geek, I have to ask do you know of anyone in the US who can do this whole body potassium calculation?

One obvious question is why do we assume that potassium supplementation will correct the intracellular deficiency? After all, if the sodium / potassium pump is broken for lack of energy, increasing the amount of potassium outside the cell is not going to supply the ATP energy needed to get potassium back inside the cell? Did Burnet test potassium levels after supplementing? It wouldn't surprise me if you needed to take the potassium with something else to get it back inside the cell?

How do you feel about potassium bicarbonate? Aside from being readily absorbed form of potassium, you get the alkalinity of the bicarbonate. Any of that which is not neutralized by stomach acid should then help the body fight acidity from accumulating byproducts of aerobic exercise.
  10. pone

pone

How do we get tested for neurotransmitters? Are these single fasted serum blood tests?
  11. Lynn_M

Lynn_M Senior Member

Western Nebraska
    Pone,
    You won't be getting a reply from Richvank (Rich Van Konynenburg), because he is no longer on this plane. I think it was around October 2013 when he died. There are posts on PR about it.
  12. pone

pone

What a terrible loss. He was a very smart guy.

I searched back through September 2013 for "Richvank" and was not able to find the notice of his death.
  13. Lynn_M

Lynn_M Senior Member

Western Nebraska
    Last edited: May 28, 2014

See more popular forum discussions.