• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Why is my vision blurry after meditation?

determined

Since I am a two-time cancer survivor, the first time this happened I was very alarmed...but that was over 5 years ago. Depending on the level of relaxation, my vision is blurry for about 5 - 10 minutes after each meditation session. Could it have something to do with the sets of muscles holding the eye in place? Has anyone else experienced this?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Hi Determined,

I am long, long term meditator (started way before I was sick) and it is my experience that the deeper the meditation, the more my vision will be blurry afterwards. Also the deeper the meditation, the longer it will remain blurry. Others may have different experience, but from what I know in myself and others, this is natural and not related to disease. I don't know exactly why this happens, but it always comes back to normal within a half an hour. I suspect it is the relaxation and the effect on the CNS.

Sushi

determined

Thanks, Sushi....in a way, I can gauge the effectiveness of my meditation sessions by whether or not the blurriness occurs and how bad it is. Thanks for the feedback.

Holmsey

Determined,
Love the name.

What your mind makes of what you experience in meditation may be worth considering. In deeper meditations I experience visual effects which I beleive my mind tries to use my eye's to resolve, I find a good work around is to place my attention at my heart which stops my eyes getting involved.

determined

Hi Holmsey, thanks for the response. Now that you mention it, many times my guided visualizations and even my own meditations are very visual....but I still don't understand why my eyesight is affected. I have, however, heard that people with fibromyalgia often have trouble with their vision, and they may need several different prescriptions! I will attempt what you suggest - thanks.