• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Why I wonder if I have MCS or Histamine Intolerance

Ok...so I've had poor cognition for as long as I can remember. I was very brain fogged and just generally "didin't get it" as well as had some fatigue as a child and I still am, although I can pass as normal for short periods. I feel kind of autistic, but it's more than that...and it all got worse around when my period started. I also had what seemed like a flu virus a couple months before starting menstruation (and that's the last time I've actually been sick in almost 11 years, which I think is abnormal). But I've always wondered if that flu could have had something to do with my condition worsening. Also, which brings me to MCS and histamine, I used to have terrible allergies during childhood that hit out of the blue at 4-5 years old and although we're diagnosed as seasonal, I actually had them year round...and we had no pets or anything. And the allergies decreased a lot around the time I got more fatigued, to the point that I no longer have to use an antihistamine to make sure I'm not coughing up mucus. And I stopped getting sick. I know those last two things are probably blessings in disguise given all of the other stuff I have to deal with, but I can't help but worry that my primary immune response has been turned down or something.

I know most of you don't work in the medical field, but I have a doctors appointment coming up and am trying to figure out what to do to prepare for it. Does this sound like it could be caused by chemical intolerance, or a histamine dysregulation? I have no idea how to rule out chemical sensitivity other than maybe try wearing one of those carbon filter masks and try and avoid stuff. I already avoid foods like gluten and dairy. But I'm pretty desperate because my cognitive symptoms remind me of people in my family who've been diagnosed with serious illnesses like multiple sclerosis and dementia. I'm going to try it and see, even though I'll feel like such a weirdo but who knows maybe it will give me a clue.

Timaca

I can share my experience with histamine intolerance, because it seems that I have that (to foods). You can read one of my blog posts about it here.

On the Resources Page of my blog is info about histamine intolerance (as it relates to food).

I definitely have other food intolerances besides just to histamine. Still trying to figure that out. And it seems that I have a likely intolerance to chlorine in swimming pools. It didn't affect my skin but I sure felt horrible afterwards....

My brain fog cleared up a lot when I went on an elimination diet. I avoid a lot more than gluten and dairy. Right now I'm off the top 10 food allergens, also pretty much all animal protein (for me it was too high in histamine).

Best,

I do avoid more than just gluten and dairy...also all the autoimmune paleo foods you should avoid, except for almonds/almond milk sometimes. I've only been really strict about all the other things (except for gluten and dairy- been doing that for months) for a couple weeks, so it's still early days. I think I will eat a lot less animal protein and histamine things, though, after what you've said. I've been skeptical about whether I need animal protein for a while now. The only thing I know I'm doing poorly on is how much vegetable I eat, which isn't enough.

What are the 10 top allergens you avoid?

Timaca

The top 10 food allergens in the United States are: Soy, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, seeds, corn, dairy, wheat, fish and shellfish. I can eat really fresh fish and do OK but I don't eat a lot of it as it will make my serum mercury go high (much to the shocker of my doctors and I). I also avoid nightshades and yeast. I eat whole foods, nothing artificial and very little (if any) processed foods. The only grain I'm currently eating is rice, but I hope to test buckwheat soon. Then sorghum. Then oats. Right now I'm testing blueberries.....most fruits are high in benzoates (including berries) which can be problematic for those with histamine issues.....

Timaca

I eat a LOT of vegetables (but I avoid the high histamine ones and nightshades). ;)