• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Why few dare tackle the psychology of ME

biophile

Places I'd rather be.
Hi biophile, on the isolation of XMRV from tissue, Pemberton has an "out". Blood is a tissue. The use of terms with multiple meanings is rampant in this debate, particularly from the biopsychosocial people. Also there were tissue based studies on XMRV, including Singh. Bye, Alex

When I drafted that I realized that there was a small chance I was wrong, but I thought about it and decided that although I would obviously want to avoid being wrong myself when discussing other people's errors, I decided that it was worth the risk and I have no problem admitting error when it is demonstrated, unlike Pemberton who seems to be clinging to a factual error which can be easily demonstrated as such by the most official source that exists.

I think it is an important issue to talk about. Its a process started often by schools due to ignorance but sometimes doctors. Social workers are just tend to follow the advice of others - but too often do so unquestioningly, disbelieving the parents and giving them no information. The whole process can be very damaging to children who are expected to use all there energy on addional appointments, seeing socialworkers and attending child protection conferences. A bit like forced exersice but with additional fear. Then you get those doctors who threaten child protection if children don't do some form of GET. Sometimes parents get accused of FII or munchausans by proxy where certian psychiatrists are wheeled out.

I agree that carefully handled, a measured, consensus (meaning schools, medics, socal workers, parents and young people are all given equality of voice) article would be very valuable. I'm not convinced that a butterfly journo (Paulton's work history is 'eclectic to say the least) who tweets (ffs !) openly about a supposedly major story is the right person for the job. Yet another media 'horror' about how social workers and pediatricians can't possibly get anything right whatever they do (either too eager to intervene or they are negligent), is very unlikely to create a positive atmosphere in which young people with M.E/CFS will be ensured of the support they need from schools and the NHS, or if the situation demands it, the protection that a young person requires when their home life can no longer meet their needs, or has become actively damaging to their health.

At a time when both the NHS and Social Services (we are talking about a UK focussed article) are under immense financial pressure, as well as demands for ever greater effectiveness, poorly handled media assualts on medical and social services failings are likely only to reduce the willingness of professionals to engage with the real needs of vulnerable people, including children and young people. Instead the common reaction is to fall back on defined processes such that it is the protection of professionals - not their clients - that becomes paramount.

IVI

Bob

In case anyone here has not seen this, here is Margaret Williams' fairly comprehensive list of immunological research...

THE IMMUNOLOGICAL BASIS OF ME/CFS: what is already known?
A compilation of documented immune system abnormalities in ME/CFS from 1983-2011
by Margaret Williams
March 2012

(See pages 29 onwards)

Low res version for viewing on PC:
http://investinme.org/Documents/Journals/Journal of IiME Vol 6 Issue 1 Screen.pdf

High res version for printing:
http://investinme.org/Documents/Journals/Journal of IiME Vol 6 Issue 1.pdf

Bob

The volume of comments at the telegraph.co.uk article is overwhelming, and I was not going to bother with posting there, but factual inaccuracies about the PACE Trial must be countered. I just posted the following comment and am archiving here just in case it gets moderated:

URL: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/9...e-the-psychology-of-ME.html#comment-665227450

Nice post biophile.

I clicked on 'recommend', to bump up your comment.

Edit: They seem to have deleted my 'recommend' point, when I reloadrd the page. Maybe because I'm not registered or logged in.

Firestormm

Ok. Well that's 459 comments on there now. I really think (from what I am reading) that enough is enough. The content of some, the constant presence of certain contributors, will (I have no doubt) be used to bite any 'community' in the arse.

There are some noble comments on there but unfortunately, and as per usual, and in my esteemed opinion, they are few and far between. More than enough ammunition for Max and anyone else so inclined to fire yet another broadside across our bow.

I mean honestly, what the hell do people think will be made of all of this... 'effort'? He's unlikely to change his view is he? And all that 'tweeting'. I mean for heaven's sake. It's no bloody wonder sometimes that people feel a need to hide their condition along with themselves under the duvet!

Am off back to bed. Jesus!

Nielk

Ok. Well that's 459 comments on there now. I really think (from what I am reading) that enough is enough. The content of some, the constant presence of certain contributors, will (I have no doubt) be used to bite any 'community' in the arse.

There are some noble comments on there but unfortunately, and as per usual, and in my esteemed opinion, they are few and far between. More than enough ammunition for Max and anyone else so inclined to fire yet another broadside across our bow.

I mean honestly, what the hell do people think will be made of all of this... 'effort'? He's unlikely to change his view is he? And all that 'tweeting'. I mean for heaven's sake. It's no bloody wonder sometimes that people feel a need to hide their condition along with themselves under the duvet!

Firestormm,

Do you think we would be more productive just hiding under our duvets?

Do you think that raising awareness and advocacy is counterproductive?

Should we just shy away from all of it just because it might be construed by the likes of Max as "harassment"?

Esther12

In case anyone here has not seen this, here is Margaret Williams' fairly comprehensive list of immunological research...

THE IMMUNOLOGICAL BASIS OF ME/CFS: what is already known?
A compilation of documented immune system abnormalities in ME/CFS from 1983-2011
by Margaret Williams
March 2012

(See pages 29 onwards)

Low res version for viewing on PC:
http://investinme.org/Documents/Journals/Journal of IiME Vol 6 Issue 1 Screen.pdf

High res version for printing:
http://investinme.org/Documents/Journals/Journal of IiME Vol 6 Issue 1.pdf

The immunological stuff often seems a bit scatter-gun to me. It's possible to list a load of studies showing interesting immunological abnormalities, but there are also lots of studies which fail to replicate/some/all of them.
Maybe these sorts of findings will be helpful for further sub-grouping, but until this is done I'd be far from confident in claiming that there is an immunological basis to ME/CFS. I did look at a few papers in this area recently, but it's not really a topic I'm that well informed about.

I think your standards are too high Fire.

Click on a random controversial/political news story, and then read the comments under it. What do you think of them? Consistently impressive and well thought through?

CFS patients shouldn't be held to higher standards than others. We're having to deal with very difficult circumstances, with a lot of uncertainty and often feeling rightly mistreated by those with power over us - I would expect this to mean that comments under articles like Pemberton's to be really terrible, as it is, I think they were around that standard one would expect for a typical controversial article. Quite a few good comments, some of which I agreed with; quite a few that seemed to make errors, poor arguments or misleadingly exaggerate our knowledge about something (given the uncertainty around CFS, this last one seems a common problem) but also made some good points; quite a few that just swallowed the narrative pushed by Pemberton; quite a few snarky ones attacking CFS patients; and quite a few from CFS patients that were pretty terrible.

Honestly, I don't think we're likely to get much better than that so long as CFS is so poorly understood, and there's such quackery around it.

Some people will focus upon the worst aspects of the comments from CFS patients, and use that as an excuse to be ever more dismissive of those diagnosed with CFS - but there's nothing we can do about that. It's not a reasonable response from them, and we should criticise it, but there will always be those who enjoy this sort of lazy prejudice. We can't expect other CFS patients to be the sorts of representatives that we want, any more than we can expect other British subjects to be the sort of representatives that we want.

CFS patients shouldn't be held to higher standards than others.
That's a philosophical argument, and most people would say an entirely reasonable and fair argument - but it doesn't translate into pragmatic advocacy. Fairness and reasonableness are not unconditionally on offer - no one is compelled to listen to M.E/CFS affected people, and no one is obliged to accept an argument from an M.E/CFS perspective. We can construct all sorts of 'we shouldn't have tos' - but effective advocacy, which is necessarily a pragmatic process, requires all sorts of 'have tos'. Flash mobbing a Daily Telegraph bear pit doesn't stike me as a smart way of engaging 'the enemy' for whom it just confirms existing prejudices - litany of "How do these fatigued people have all this energy ?", "How do they have all this free time ?", "Aren't they just a bunch of dole cheats ?" etc.

But flags have been waved, spleen has been vented, perspectives demanded to be taken seriously, and no doubt many of the participants have relieved themselves of something or another. But let's not pretend it has anything to do with achieving something meaningful - it's just a 'pile on' mobbing with a wholly internalised rhetoric dispalyed to some uncomprehending observers, most of whom have had the view that 'M.E/CFS patients just need to get a job', overwhelmingly re-inforced.

IVI

Nielk

I wonder what the reaction of these naysayers would have been had Lipkin's study come out with a positive finding of XMRV in ME?CFS patients' blood?

Would they have conceded that they were wrong all along and that this illness has a biological basis? Would they have hung on their theory nonetheless?

The day will come when it will be clear that this is a physiological disease and that day will be our vindication. Whatever is needed to bring this day closer should be our aim. Whether it is raising awareness, involvement in advocacy or raising funds for studies, our purpose should be to actualize the Science that will bring us an answer as to the biological cause of the illness. Our standards, aims and future should not be dictated by an article in The Daily Telegraph or by anyone else trying to suppress the truth.

Esther12

That's a philosophical argument, and most people would say an entirely reasonable and fair argument - but it doesn't translate into pragmatic advocacy. Fairness and reasonableness are not unconditionally on offer - no one is compelled to listen to M.E/CFS affected people, and no one is obliged to accept an argument from an M.E/CFS perspective. We can construct all sorts of 'we shouldn't have tos' - but effective advocacy, which is necessarily a pragmatic process, requires all sorts of 'have tos'. Flash mobbing a Daily Telegraph bear pit doesn't stike me as a smart way of engaging 'the enemy' for whom it just confirms existing prejudices - litany of "How do these fatigued people have all this energy ?", "How do they have all this free time ?", "Aren't they just a bunch of dole cheats ?" etc.

But flags have been waved, spleen has been vented, perspectives demanded to be taken seriously, and no doubt many of the participants have relieved themselves of something or another. But let's not pretend it has anything to do with achieving something meaningful - it's just a 'pile on' mobbing with a wholly internalised rhetoric dispalyed to some uncomprehending observers, most of whom have had the view that 'M.E/CFS patients just need to get a job', overwhelmingly re-inforced.

I've never liked pragmatism, and now that I've read more of the pragmatic justifications which have been used for a lot of the quackery which surrounds CFS I really hate it.

Most people with CFS don't see themselves as advocates, but instead just as people, some of whom will want to express their views some of the time. I'm quite happy to post comments about Romney's views of 47% of Americans, the value of DJ Fresh's pop records, or the costs and benefits of free-trade, not because I'm advocating for any particular position, but because I think that discussion and debate are valuable in and of themselves. It helps me clarify and develop my own views, as well as helping me understand the views of others.

In the same way, this thread was just people discussing an article. It wasn't people planning some assault, or thinking that they were hard at work achieving some great improvement in the way people viewed CFS. Certainly, if one were to choose how to prioritise one's time in the way which would be most likely to improve the way CFS is treated, one would spend no time at all considering Pemberton or what he thinks. But it's still fine for some people to just feel irritated by the misleading nature of his work, and want to explain why that is, even if doing so does not achieve anything.

re the whole: "Wow CFS people sure have a lot of energy to explain how poorly treated the condition is, lol!"

A while back I was reading about the way in which ECT was combined with really high doses of various drugs, and people being kept unconscious for months at at time - unsurprisingly leaving people feeling rather worse for wear. One article I was reading was focusing upon a patient who seemed pretty ruined and was only semi-cogent, weeping, etc. The doctor defending the medical profession explained that while he had a great deal of sympathy for her, it was important that they stick to the high standards of medical research, that they required peer reviewed evidence, etc.

In another article, they talked about a former patient who was giving speeches, taking part in debate, citing articles to support her arguments... the final comment was from a doctor saying that the quality of her arguments indicated that the treatments she was subjected to did not do her much harm.

If one is a part of a group which people feel it is acceptable to look down upon, then they will always find excuses for legitimising their prejudices. There's not much that we can do about that.

Bob

Follow-up blog in the Telegraph by a different author...

'It's safer to insult the Prophet Mohammed than to contradict the armed wing of the ME brigade'
By Damian Thompson
September 28th, 2012
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/d...-contradict-the-armed-wing-of-the-me-brigade/

It's interesting how he mentions that a colleague of his has ME, and is very ill.
But, he says, his friend has obviously been mis-diagnosed, because he is so clearly very [systemically] ill.
Whereas he asserts that the rest of us (ALL other ME patients) have personality disorders.
I wonder how his colleague would react if he accused him of having a personality disorder.

The Mohammed quote is from, guess who? Yes, you're right, it's Simon Wessely, as this old quote from 'Nature' demonstrates:

Wessely says although he is used to being subject to abuse, other researchers were "absolutely appalled" by their treatment. "This will convince another large group of decent scientists to say: oh no, I would rather go find the gene for homosexuality or do work on images of the prophet Mohammed than do this."
http://www.nature.com/news/2011/110603/full/news.2011.347.html

Esther12

He's the #holysmokelogic guy from a while back, who claimed that the riots were a PR disaster for UK Uncut. Pemberton's articles make more sense to me now that I see him as another hack, rather than a misguided psychiatrist.

It would clearly be best to ignore this desperate bid for attention, hits and comments.

Instead I'm going to camp outside his house and hold a solitary protest against him claiming... whatever point it is that he thinks he's making.

PS: Why is our armed wing so rubbish at actually doing anything? I thought we were genuinely powerless patients, lacking in fearsome warriors eager to do our bidding - could they at least help with some household chores?

Esther12

One other thing... think about how much worse things would have been if a really significant portion of CFS patients had continued to insist that XMRV caused CFS, and that the negative studies were part of a cover-up.

It wouldn't have been amazing if this had happened. The uncertainty of CFS is difficult to live with, and everyone finds letting go of a significant source of hope difficulty. Some seem to be trying to spin it as if militant CFS crazies are preventing news of this negative study spreading, instead of acknowledging it was almost universally accepted by patients who had already largely come to terms with the fact that XMRV was a dead-end. The most significant piece of patient activism I can think of in response to this study was the 'Thank you' card sent to Ian Lipkin for his work in debunking the XMRV association.

Bob

One other thing... think about how much worse things would have been if a really significant portion of CFS patients had continued to insist that XMRV caused CFS, and that the negative studies were part of a cover-up.

It wouldn't have been amazing if this had happened. The uncertainty of CFS is difficult to live with, and everyone finds letting go of a significant source of hope difficulty. Some seem to be trying to spin it as if militant CFS crazies are preventing news of this negative study spreading, instead of acknowledging it was almost universally accepted by patients who had already largely come to terms with the fact that XMRV was a dead-end. The most significant piece of patient activism I can think of in response to this study was the 'Thank you' card sent to Ian Lipkin for his work in debunking the XMRV association.

Yes, they really are inventing a 'story' or a 'narrative' about us, aren't they.

I can't quite believe what I'm reading now... it's now gone beyond ridiculous...

It's got to the stage now, where it's like a parody of what's gone on in the past...

I'm beginning to think that it can only ending in tears for them now... I think it is increasingly likely to back-fire on them massively, because they've just wandered so utterly off into fantasy land, that I can't see how reasonable people can believe anything they're saying...

With national journalists hacks attacking a whole patient population so excessively, and with such strange vitriol, it's starting to look like there's an agenda.
Anyone who knows someone with ME, and most other reasonable people, will be starting to ask themselves questions about the journalists, rather than about ME patients.

Well, I'm wearing my optimistic hat, as usual... But the psychiatric lobby is clearly feeling more and more desperate.

The ME Association reported another meeting with Stephen Holgate today... It seems that the MRC continues to follow up on it's commitments:
http://www.meassociation.org.uk/?p=13038

alex3619

Let me give another opinion on ME militancy. First, let me state, yet again, I do not support violence or physical intimidation. As strategy goes, quite aside from morality, its nearly always a disaster. This is quite separate from analytical criticism or political protest, both of which we have a right to engage in, at least in any supposed democracy.

I wish we had a highly militant ME community. We would have stopped psychobabble and possibly most of us would have been cured by now. Our problem is that we can't be militant, unlike activists for HIV or MS. We are, at least for the majority, simply too sick. So they complain we are militant, when we can't even muster up the energy to do the term justice. We get the bad press, but none of the advantages of militancy.

459 comments? I would prefer 459000 comments. Sure, many comments do not make sense. Its not about that. As I have said before, the scientific and the political advocacy should be considered separately. In politics numbers and passion count. In science, reason and evidence counts. The two are not the same, and do not advance by the same methods (though there is overlap).

If we all made a protest to the newspaper via email, that is if two million of us did, with followup, they would get the message. 459 is just a blip. Our problem though is only a tiny minority are engaged.

Bye, Alex

biophile

Places I'd rather be.
'It's safer to insult the Prophet Mohammed than to contradict the armed wing of the ME brigade'

By Damian Thompson

September 28th, 2012

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/d...-contradict-the-armed-wing-of-the-me-brigade/

Is it really? This inflammatory title, based on Wessely's stupid hypothetical comment, makes Wessely sound jaded and desperate. I think that comment will come back to haunt his reputation one day. Although receiving death threats and harassment would be very unpleasant, many people have been physically harmed and/or killed for insulting the Prophet Mohammed and/or for just being in the vincinity of a protest. It happens frequently, and just this month dozens of people were killed around the world after a YouTube video was uploaded which was offensive to Muslims.

The body count of the alleged "armed wing of the ME brigade? A big fat 0. The most violent incident I have ever read about in the entire history of ME/CFS was when a researcher was (allegedly) slapped or punched in the street, but who knows the circumstances which lead to that event? Another problem with the comparison, is how *insulting* the Prophet Mohammed is equated to merely *contradicting* the "armed wing of the ME brigade". And what about the harm caused by and body count of psychiatry/ists?

The blog contains other uninformed and twisted statements. Perhaps Esther is correct, these type of blogs make more sense once you realize the writers are probably sensationalist hack writers.

Wessely has also claimed that he would feel safer in Afghanistan. If he really believes in these ridiculous comparisons, what do you think would happen if he went to Afghanistan and insulted the Prophet Mohammed?

Esther12

459 comments? I would prefer 459000 comments. Sure, many comments do not make sense. Its not about that. As I have said before, the scientific and the political advocacy should be considered separately. In politics numbers and passion count. In science, reason and evidence counts. The two are not the same, and do not advance by the same methods (though there is overlap).

If 'ME Science' keeps going strong, you may get your wish. Although unfortunately, they may simply achieve more research funding for XMRV.

biophile

Places I'd rather be.
Firestormm. I do not really expect Pemberton to suddenly change his apparently entrenched views on ME/CFS. I do however expect that he does something about his sloppy churnalism. He seems so sure about the PACE Trial and "recovery", but sooner or later he will realize that he was wrong and so will some of his more curious readers.

It does not look good for the reputation of cavalier journalists hack writers to be corrected repeatedly by the same plebeians who are supposedly ignorant and deranged. No one, perhaps except clowns and comedians, really want to look incompetent in public. Fear of the stigma surrounding failure may make him more careful next time?

For now, Pemberton appears to have become further entrenched. In contrast to Hanlon, who despite his highly questionable blogs which attracted many critical comments, does seem to be trying to explain himself further and displaying signs of trying to understand what went wrong (even if his attempts have not really been successful).

As peer-pressure can be significant, I hope that patients here do not start falling for the spin themselves and judge a comment/commentator based mostly on what the public thinks of that comment/commentator, in order to avoid appearing radical themselves. IMO, there were more cringeworthy comments from detractors than there are from patients/advocates. I also think it is fantasy to expect superb commentary from all patients/advocates. The internet is a public forum and the comment sections on news articles are little more than specialized pub-like discussions.