1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 2: Pathogens and the Gut
Mark Berry continues his series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with the emphasis shifting from autoimmunity to pathogens and the gut ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Why does vitamin d make me so tired?

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by Phred, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Phred

Phred Senior Member

It doesn't matter if it's from sunshine or supplements I get really sleepy when I take D. So much so that I started taking it at night because I wanted to go back to bed if I took it in the morning or afternoon. Does anyone know why it might make me so sleepy? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  2. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Senior Member

I wish I knew. Could you be allergic to it? Does it help you sleep? That is a good thing. If it helps with mood, maybe it is helping you calm down.
    dannybex likes this.
  3. Phred

Phred Senior Member

Yes, I should have said it definately makes my mood better, but makes me tired too. I don't think I'm allergic to it. I don't get hives or itchy skin and my nose does't get stuffed up, like with my other allergies, so I don't think that's it.
  4. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Senior Member

Does it make you tired during the day if you take it at night? Overall, this sounds great to me! Tired, and then feeling a better mood is not awful unless you can't function.
  5. Phred

Phred Senior Member

The tired feeling lasts for awhile. I haven't sat down and really analyzed how long. I'll start taking note. But it's for a couple of hours anyway. Today is a good example. I walked my dog this morning. By the end of the walk I was dragging my feet I was so tired. It was nice and sunny, early morning sun. I can do the same walk, with less sleep from the night before, when it is cloudy and at the end I feel hungry and slightly revitalized. Today I'm just tired, tired, tired. It happens with supplements too. I've noticed this for a few months now, but thought I'd finally ask if anyone would know why this is.
  6. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    I would guess that perhaps it's allowing your body to get the long overdue rest it needs in order to start healing. ???
    The Spitfire likes this.
  7. brenda

brenda Senior Member

UK
    Hi It says here that:

8. Phred

Phred Senior Member

dannybex, if that is true than that is most inconvenient. I take my dog in the morning and have other things to do later. I guess I'm one of the wicked with no rest for me.

brenda thanks for the info. This was something I noticed long before I supplemented...well anything. Sunshine always made me sleepy. A nice cloudy (windy is even better) day and I'm not anywhere near as tired later in the morning.
  9. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    It could also be activating your immune system to help fight off some hidden infections. I'd listen to your body...and rest when you can. Easier said than done, but very very critical to recovery.
  10. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Senior Member

Sunshine is relaxing. I love it for that reason. It calms me down. See, I like that feeling. I would rather be tired then wired. Resting...is a good thing and can get you back to a better place.
  11. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    brenda -- I disagree with the info via Livestrong. If one goes outside in the summer in the middle of the day, they'll get 10,000ius in less than 20 minutes -- and that's with some clothes on.

Here's a study that showed that healthy men used 3,000-5,000 ius per day:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12499343
  12. Ocean

Ocean Senior Member

U.S.
    It used to do that to me too. I found that if I upped my dose gradually it seemed to take care of the problem. I started with low doses just a few times per week and slowly increased dose and sometimes frequency and haven't been having that effect anymore. It seems my body had to adjust to it. If I stop taking it for a while and start again I get the same reaction again.
  13. brenda

brenda Senior Member

UK
    Dan

Phred says that sunlight has the same sleep inducing effect. Perhaps his body has a problem absorbing it, and the study you quoted was performed on healthy men. Its best to listen to our bodies as you say as so much is still unknown.
  14. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    You need cofactors with vitamin D. Especially vitamin K and magnesium are important. Also, it is worth noting that the fat soluble vitamins should be balanced (vitamin A, D, E, K). Too much of one can negatively affect another.
    brenda likes this.
  15. dbkita

dbkita Senior Member

vitamin D when taken orally will stimulate your immune system in your gut, especially if without sufficient food and fats.
    While 25OH form is anti-inflammatory the 1,25 active form is pro-inflammatory and the oral D3 form is also pro-inflammatory in the gut. We were not made to ingest high amounts of vitamin D orally. We were meant to get it from sunlight. But of course in modern society we do not have much choice now do we?

The fact that sunlight does the same thing is a concern. Makes me think of very high inversion of vitamin D due to macrophage inflammation or even sarcoidosis.

50 mcg of vitamin D is 2000 IU btw. That is probably reasonable for most in the summer but a little low in the winter especially in the more northern parts of the US.
  16. Phred

Phred Senior Member

brenda I know my name is confusing, but I'm female. When I get calls from sales people they'll often ask for Mr. Phred so and so. When I say speaking they seem surprised to hear a woman's voice.

adreno I take magnesium and E. I've just started looking at A. Do I get that from cod liver oil? I'll take a look at vitamin K too.

dbkita that doesn't sound pleasant at all. Maybe I should hold off on my d supplements (I take 3000 IU a day) and see if that helps.
  17. dbkita

dbkita Senior Member

Most people can get by fine with taking reasonable oral doses with food and fatty meals. But some of us have more problems with it. The fact you get really sleepy with only 3000 IU is a cause for concern imo. I would only expect that usually at higher doses. The sunshine is a concern as well. It should not whack you with fatigue unless we are talking sarcoidosis or something kind of exotic. You need to discuss this with your doctor I think.

See more popular forum discussions.