• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Why do I tell the truth?

taniaaust1

I think people, family, friends, especially doctors have a really hard time understand what we are going through and during my illness I had to constantly remind my doctors that I was not well even though they always thought "you don't look sick". I even had an endocrinologist say to me, at the peak of my illness, that I was the "healthiest person she has seen all year" even though I felt like i was on my death bed at the time.

I would of replied to that comment "would you tell a cancer patient they are the healthiest person you've seen all year just cause she's still looking okay?".

Its a comment I really hate.

PennyIA

Yes, I kept having severe chest pains. Cardiologist said he knew what sick looked like - and that I wasn't sick. I could barely walk down the hallway (yes walk - with severe chest pains doubling me over) to the ct scan. And got grumpiness back because I kept stopping to lean against the wall and get my breath back every six feet or so.

no, I wasn't sick.

grrr