• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Why do I keep getting worse?

whodathunkit

garyfritz said:
The b12oils guy said not only is the oral absorption extremely inefficient, but it appears rapidly in serum and is mostly lost in urine. It doesn't get bound to the "transporters" (TCII and HC) needed for the body to actually use it. He claims that much less than 1% will actually bind to a transporter, and that their oil does better.
So, if oral absorption is inefficient...I'm almost afraid to ask...where does the b12oils guy suggest people spray his product? :devil:o_O :p

garyfritz

Not in your mouth. :p You rub it into your skin. I haven't asked him but I suspect it's best to rub it into fatty areas so there's lots of subcutaneous fat for it to diffuse through.

whodathunkit

Hmmm, okay. I wonder if a dermaroller might help here.

If you don't know, a dermaroller is a device with small needles embedded in a small barrel-shaped roller attached to a handle, which is rolled across the skin. Needles penetrate the skin to help with product penetration (mostly anti-aging topicals) or collagen formation. Needles range in size from about 0.2mm (very, very, very short) to up to 3mm (quite long and scary).

Short needle dermarollers are benign and almost fuzzy-looking; long needle dermarollers are freaky-looking and somewhat resemble a medieval weapon. LOL

Short needles are used to gently penetrate the epidermis to help with product penetration; longer needles are used to "wound" the skin through to the deeper layers of the dermis in order to stimulate a healing reaction to generate collagen and eliminate wrinkles.

I wonder if using a short needle dermaroller (about 0.25mm) would make the b12oil more effective (by virtue of better absorption/penetration through the skin)? You'd have to be very careful with cleaning it every day, because a dirty roller can carry staph and other nasties, but I've re-used many rollers many times with no problem. It's all about careful sterilization right before and right after each use.

If I wasn't so hooked on my injections and was looking for an alternative to sublinguals, I'd give it a whirl.

Just thinking out loud if anyone wants to experiment. With the right B12 product it could perhaps be a comparably potent delivery alternative for people who don't like or can't get mB12 injections.

Last edited:

garyfritz

Right, @Gondwanaland -- I should have been more clear. I haven't been looking at anything that's actually *swallowed*. We know that doesn't work. Just oral (sublingual or, more accurately, cheek/gum) absorption vs. transdermal absorption.

Yeeks, @whodathunkit, those DO look like medieval torture devices!! I don't think anything like that is necessary for the oil to be properly absorbed. I hope not!!

@ahmo, I will definitely report back when I've been using it for a week or so. It just arrived yesterday and so far the results are mixed, but hopeful. Let me "settle in" with it and see how I feel in a week.

garyfritz

@Christopher, that's always possible. Less likely than in other areas, perhaps, because it's quite dry here.

I really don't know how you find out if you have mold. The mold-remediation services in the area seem to talk mostly about how they test visible mold. Can companies do a general "is there any mold here" test?

Tired of being sick

@garyfritz
Have you ever been checked for a form of dysautonomia?
If not I highly suggest that you start researching on your own then find a doctor who is experienced
with more than just the basics..
The fact is and unfortunately,most cardiologists in the US are just that.

The Cleveland Clinic is the best in the US..
They are light years ahead of everyone else when it comes to the heart , circulatory system
and autonomic nervous system malfunction.

garyfritz

I've never even heard of dysautonomia! But I looked it up, and I show none of the symptoms. I'm curious, what made you suggest it?

Gondwanaland

Less likely than in other areas, perhaps, because it's quite dry here.
I have read that dry places like Arizona and Nevada are known for mold. I recently listened to Richard Horowitz talking about Lyme and he said that there is a lot of mold (spores) in AZ, NV and TX.

whodathunkit

@garyfritz, you can get a mold culture kit online in various places. It's basically a petri dish with a culture medium in it that you leave out uncovered for a certain amount of time. Ideally you do a dish in each room. Then you put them in a temp neutral, dark place to grow for a week or so. If your petri dish is clean or not bad after that week, you probably don't have a mold problem. But if your petri dishes are nasty then you might want to look at addressing mold, at least in your a/c ducts if you don't have any visible.

HTH.

garyfritz

BTW I should probably mention that I'm frequently out of town on business for a week or two at a time. I haven't noticed any big difference in any symptoms when I'm out of the house for a few weeks.

whodathunkit

You can, of course, use or not. It was just a suggestion based on the flow of conversation in the thread. I got about the result I expected from the home culture kit I used, which is to say my opinion is that the cultures are fairly accurate. Cultures could also provide you with cheap insight as to whether or not you want to pursue more professional inspection, without investing hundreds or thousands in pricey professional services unnecessarily.

FWIW.