• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Why do I feel so weird when I eat?

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
@Research 1st
That's a nice comprehensive list to consider.

I am most definitely dehydrated and have tried to up my fluid intake but it's difficult. I don't know why. I can't call it hydrophobia exactly.
But I really don't want to drink much at all.
I don't know if this is related to my need for electrolytes which I try to get enough of as well.

Some of the other thoughts seem worth considering as well.

Snookum96

@Research 1st
That's a nice comprehensive list to consider.

I am most definitely dehydrated and have tried to up my fluid intake but it's difficult. I don't know why. I can't call it hydrophobia exactly.
But I really don't want to drink much at all.
I don't know if this is related to my need for electrolytes which I try to get enough of as well.

Some of the other thoughts seem worth considering as well.

I'm the exact opposite of you on liquids. If I don't constantly drink water I get a sore throat. ENT said my throat looked dry. I drink tons of water.

I've heard some people put some fresh fruit in their water to give it a bit of flavour. Would that help (if there is fruit you can tolerate of course)?

Seven7

Seven
You mentioned mast cells, does this have something to do with MCAS for you then?
I have no idea!!! to be honest I think is part of cfs where we eventually become more delicate from gut. But could be Mast cells for me. They are still reaserching for that but my triptase was negative, doctor said that does not mean I don't have it.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
I'm the exact opposite of you on liquids. If I don't constantly drink water I get a sore throat. ENT said my throat looked dry. I drink tons of water.

I've heard some people put some fresh fruit in their water to give it a bit of flavour. Would that help (if there is fruit you can tolerate of course)?

Do you need electrolytes as well as water? I think this might be what at least part of my problem is. My body doesn't want just water.
But I'm just guessing. I wish science had all the answers and all that was required was a little diligent research.

I have no issues with food and do sometimes put cucumber or lemon in water just to help force some down.

And. . .I just went back and reread your first post. Brain fart. My eating symptoms actually weren't quite the same. I don't know how I got to that. Anyway, I hope someone comes up with a good clue for you or that it just bloody goes away.

If you can't really cook for yourself I guess you don't get much meat then. Could that be an issue?

Snookum96

@Snowdrop
I don't eat much red meat but I do eat chicken and turkey and add stuff like chick peas to make sure I get protein. My husband cooks sometimes and my mom drops stuff off so I do ok eating wise. I've had my iron tested and it was good.

Every time I've been to the ER my electrolytes have been okay but I think that's a good idea. Although I haven't been in quite a while since I figured out I wasn't dying. I'll try that and see how it goes!

If its any help, I used to experience all kinds of unpleasant (actually, quite worrying) symptoms surrounding eating until I properly identified all of my food sensitivites (through IGG blood testing). That test, and the corresponding dietary changes, had the most beneficial impact on my symptoms of anything I've ever tried. I used to get severe brain fog, physical weakness, and an overall strong unwell feeling after eating any of the offending foods. I can relate to a lot of the symptoms you've described as well.

As discussed above, there are many many other things it could be, (I've been told by an occupational therapist that even the physical act of eating is one of the most sensorily challenging and stressful things for a sensitive person to do), but I would strongly recommend getting an IGG food sensitivity test to see about food intolerances, as I'd say there's a good chance that could be causing your problems.

Do you have a Naturopath who you could work on food sensitivites/GI healing with?

Snookum96

If its any help, I used to experience all kinds of unpleasant (actually, quite worrying) symptoms surrounding eating until I properly identified all of my food sensitivites (through IGG blood testing). That test, and the corresponding dietary changes, had the most beneficial impact on my symptoms of anything I've ever tried. I used to get severe brain fog, physical weakness, and an overall strong unwell feeling after eating any of the offending foods. I can relate to a lot of the symptoms you've described as well.

As discussed above, there are many many other things it could be, (I've been told by an occupational therapist that even the physical act of eating is one of the most sensorily challenging and stressful things for a sensitive person to do), but I would strongly recommend getting an IGG food sensitivity test to see about food intolerances, as I'd say there's a good chance that could be causing your problems.

Do you have a Naturopath who you could work on food sensitivites/GI healing with?

I haven't seen a Naturopath yet. I think it's time I start looking for one. It seems a lot of people here get the most benefit from them.

Was the igg testing accurate in your case?

Snookum96

So tonight about 10 minutes after dinner I started dry heaving, for an hour. The bit of stuff that does come out is white foam and mucus. Wonderful.

This used to happen every couple weeks but I haven't had it since probably April. I don't think I've ever talked about it here so thought I'd give it a shot.

I don't know if it's related to the way I feel after eating. I've told doctors about this, I had an endoscopy it was clear.

I saw an ENT and he said I have chronic sinusitis but nothing to cause vomiting.

Think I blew some blood vessels in my face.

Any thoughts?

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
With time I think CFS we develop food allergies. My ellimination diet did not work because I was allergic to the seasoning I was using so it looked like I was allergic to everything (but I pur garlic or celery on everything) So the food allergy test helped. Unfortunately I develop new one and I still struggle when I eat.

Try to not eat. or eat one thing w salt (like a potato) and see if the feeling goes away. If it does then get food allergy test done.

This is a good thought.

But keep in mind that even the most simple things like table salt can have additives. The additives in table salt can bother me (I switched to sea salt; no potential potato starch or anticaking agent).

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
I feel hungry for I don't know what. Whatever I eat, it doesn't satisfy.
Sometimes the body misinterprets thirst as hunger. Is this a possible solution?

Another possible solution for me is that I need something I can't eat. If I'm able to juice (for me, fruit/veggies without much fiber), this feeling reduces.

Last edited: