1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Knitting Equals Pleasure, Despite ME/CFS
Jody Smith loves knitting. Again. She thought her days of knitting and purling were long over but ... she's back ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Why can't I order My Own Tests?

Discussion in 'Diagnostic Guidelines and Laboratory Testing' started by golden, Mar 8, 2013.

1. vamah

vamah Senior Member

Washington , DC area
    My doctor actually said to me that herpes viruses CAN'T reactivate and cause problems, as I was arguing. But no doctor denies that the chicken pox virus causes shingles in some people. So this was either an outright lie to get me to go away or my doctor was even stupider than I thought. Furthermore, I was never able to actually find out the results of my HMO's investigation of this issue. Apparently there is a state law that says that any disciplinary action against a doctor remains confidential -- fair enough, they have to follow the law -- but they would not even tell me if they accepted my test results from an outside lab and would treat me. At that point I just wanted to hear them say, "Yes, you were right and we were wrong." But that doesn't really happen with doctors, does it?
    maryb and ukxmrv like this.
  2. svetoslav80

svetoslav80 Senior Member

Bulgaria
    This is ridiculous. In Bulgaria there is no such law (I think) and one can make own tests in any lab. I've visited about 4-5 in my city and in the capital and they never refused to make a test.
  3. roxie60

roxie60 Senior Member

Central Illinois, USA
    Its a medical union (they dont call it that) where Drs have to be approved and managed by a board then they are subject to their rules. They want to maintain power and control (politics, power and money). There are Drs that just want to do ol fashion doctoring to hlp patients heal but they have so many hoops they have to jump thru. Then their are Drs that prefer the political structure. It is very frustrating but then most people aren't faced with what we face trying to get answers. It is so frustrating.
  4. overtrain

overtrain Medical Mafia needs to die via this virus.

As far as "Walkinlab"- their affiliate is Labcorp. Go to their site:
    Straight off LabCorp: hat items do I need to take to the LabCorp specimen collection lab?
    When visiting a specimen collection lab, you should bring the following information with you:

• The LabCorp test request form from a health care professional requesting laboratory testing​
  5. overtrain

Search Results [Search Again]
    LABCORP [Choose this location]

Located At:

6. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    http://www.walkinlab.com/how-it-works/

Ema likes this.
  7. overtrain

Q - Do I need to see my healthcare provider to get tested? A - Direct access testing allows greater participation in one's own healthcare. Yes, your healthcare provider can refer you to Walk-In Lab, but it’s not a requirement. You can feel secure that Walk-In Lab uses the same labs as healthcare providers and hospitals, which are CLIA-certified and regulated by appropriate governmental agencies.

Confusing. Again, the topic is why a person can't order her own tests without a doctor's sig.

But yay, we've found one company in the United States where a a doctor, without meeting the person needing the test(s), will sign a little piece of paper to get printed out & walked like an elementary school bathroom-pass-slip to a lab so blood can get taken. I might go this route. Thanks for this info. =)
    WillowJ likes this.
  8. Sherlock

Sherlock bicarb for exercise recovery and taming candida

US
    For the same reason that dentist associations will crush any dentist-cleaning tech who opens her own business: the reason is that it would take away money. The excuse is that it's for "the good of the patient".
    overtrain likes this.
  9. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    I've used the ones I recommend dozens of times.

They email you a requisition signed by their doctor.

Trust me, it works.

Ema
  10. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    vamah
    can't believe your doctor said that - of course herpes can reactivate, what about HSV - cold sores and genital herpes? you give up don't you?:rolleyes:
    WillowJ likes this.
  11. overtrain

*Exactly.*
  12. Andrew

Andrew Senior Member

Los Angeles, USA
    You can order your own tests online from places that provide this. A doctor there writes the prescription. Then you go to a local center (such as labquest) for the blood draw. The types of tests you can order are limited.

To find these places, search google.
    WillowJ likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.