• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Why *aren't* I Vitamin D deficient?

CCC

We found that we needed sublingual FMN (a form of B2) to be able to utilise the vitamin D. Supplements made no difference, and sun was intolerable, until the FMN.

CCC

@CCC Could you say more? What changed when you took the sublingual FMN?
The most obvious effect of FMN in terms of vitamin D was that sitting in the sun suddenly did something positive. Nothing else changed, and days with FMN were different from days not with FMN (inconsistent compliance in the first week or so).

Then, a biochemist told us that B2 generally has a role in Vitamin D metabolism (converting to a usable form), so that was probably the reason. The biochemist didn't think FMN offered any advantage over the cheaper B2, but our experience says otherwise. It could be the sublingual effect for all I know.

Another obvious and immediate effect is that FMN takes away some of the inflammation symptoms of methylation that methylfolate doesn't quite nail.

More generally, the effect of FMN was to turn the lights up. It took a month of consistent, low dose FMN for this (18 mg sublingual at the rate of 1/4 each morning and night, with the occasional top up if the body required it). We've been told that it takes a month for the B2-dependent enzymes to replenish, so that's probably why it was a month.

Last edited:

Gingergrrl

Lighter skinned people make Vitamin D much quicker and are less likely to be deficient.

I am extremely fair skinned and my vitamin D level drops off the charts unless I supplement. I was taking 5000 IU's per day to get it to 30 and 10,000 IU's per day to get it to 60 (where I am now) so I lowered it back to 5000 IU's. I attempted to lay in the sun last weekend and within 5-10 minutes I developed an allergic reaction to the sun and had to go inside. My diet is limited b/c of MCAS but nothing I can do about this. I don't actually feel any differently with my Vit D level currently at 60 than back when it was at 4 or 8 but I know that was dangerous so I continue to supplement.

Gondwanaland

allergic reaction to the sun
I had that the other day and B6 resolved it for me. But I noticed that B6 can lead to disaster if not paired with B2. I can't supplement with vit D because it causes me hypothyroidism and the antibodies go quickly up, so perhaps that is due to my B2 and B6 deficiency.

Richard7

Essentially I'm clutching at straws in a 'let's see if we can identify a metabolic anomaly in case it indicates or leads me to some addressable cause of my illness' type fantasy really.
Yes exactly.

Every time I go to the doctor I hope that something she sees or hears will prompt an idea, a suggestion that will get me out of this hole.

I too have poured over pathology results looking for anything that seems a little odd.

It is strange when your barely imaginable fantasy is to reach the heady heights of everyone else's humdrum reality?