• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

WHOOP: The 1st product Engineered to Unlock Human Performance

*GG*

Wonder if this would be helpful in showing our level of disability?

Saw how it suggests how much sleep to recover from workouts and if today is a good workout day. Wonder if it would be applicable for people with our illness, mild to moderate, not the severe!

GG

http://whoop.com/

HowToEscape?

Hm. That's a gadget marketed to people with cash to burn, looks like a wrist HRM/fitness tracker with a hot-swap battery and proprietary software. Cute toy, possibly with with some interesting software interpreting the data, but probably not used by pro athletes. Wrist HRM is not as accurate as a chest strap and you don't need to continuously monitor it.
I've also found fitness trackers to be highly inaccurate about some functions, when I had one it had no clue how long I actually slept. It can't be used for disability determination, as you can mount the thing to a ceiling fan, stick it on a puppy, swap it between people, lay it over a phone which runs an app to fool the sensor (it measures HR via light) etc etc, so as configured, it offers legal proof of exactly nothing.

Answers: No and no.

RYO

I recently read whoop is studying data obtained from users to help predict when someone is getting sick from Covid19. I wonder if Dr Bateman has patients who have used whoop to help predict and avoid PEM.

SnappingTurtle

I have been using whoop since end of July 2020. So far, HR and HRV stats especially when sleeping or sedentary have been very useful to me. The only issue so far is that HR is not reliable when cycling. Tightening the starp seems to help. I also read wrapping it with a tight sleeve or wristband towel helps. Proved the inaccuracy during a cpet.
Graphs and insights offered seem useful but as the company notes, the recovery scores do not reflect how you actually feel and there is currently no way to onject your own symptomatic data to enrich the charts.
I will be supplementing with an HR chest strap (not compatible with whoop) and will have to combine the data elsewhere.