1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Who uses Resveratrol and where do you buy it from?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by ggingues, Jan 22, 2014.

1. RYO

RYO

North Carolina
    I tried resveratrol from Costco. I was tolerating ok for first few days then developed severe abdominal cramping and vomiting. There was an article published in NY Times that sent large number of supplements to independent lab for testing. Not surprisingly, quality was major issue. Amount of active ingredient can vary widely and numerous unwanted substances found. In my opinion, CFS / ME population tends to be "desperate" and may actually suffer from trying too many supplements. In many cases, there is very little science to warrant their use.

ahmo likes this.
  2. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    Is Costco a supermarket? I am careful to choose brands that have a good reputation and/or that I have used before.

3. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    Replying to myself here - after a bit of searching I found reference to emodin, which makes up a large proportion of some resveratrol supplements because it is another major component of Japanese Knotweed, the source of many resveratrol supplements. Whilst emodin seems to have some positive effects that are relevant to ME, it may be unsuitable for some due to gut effects. I've stopped my resveratrol supplement as I was getting some worsened bowel function, and seem to be improving again, but it's only been a few days. I'm sticking to curcumin. I've referred to this in my blog.

You can get resveratrol supplements with little or no emodin. Unfortunately, it's not always clear from the label that the supplement contains emodin, but people say that the 50% strength ones are likely to contain it. The higher-strength ones seem likely to be better in that regard.

4. EtherSpin

EtherSpin

Melbourne , Australia
    what triggers that ? I have a seemingly anomalous reaction to passive cigarette smoke, 30 seconds exposure (e.g. in the line to get cash out of a hole in the wall) will give me a dry spasm cough that lasts for over 3 weeks, coughing about once every 2-3 minutes. when i worked with patients who smoked I had that cough for 2 years. sound similar to what you mean? if so i might try Res

5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    @EtherSpin, I was talking about lungs seizing and being unable to draw any breath, similar to a severe asthma attack. However there are many levels of severity in these things.

Its my lemon rule, Rule 22: Most treatments for ME are lemons, they don't suit everyone - but you often wont know if it suits you until you suck it and see. If you see a soured look on my face you will know why.

maryb likes this.
  6. EtherSpin

EtherSpin

Melbourne , Australia
    yeah thats a good rule of thumb, I have no issue with smoke at the moment as Im housebound *WIN* :) so Ill keep trialling LDN,liposomal glutathione,MCT Oil, lithium Orotate and god knows how many other supps and meds!!

7. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Not everything about being housebound is bad. :) We have to take our little wins where we can find them.

MeSci likes this.
  8. EtherSpin

EtherSpin

Melbourne , Australia
    agreed, adaptation and changing expectations - crucial.

Christopher, MeSci and alex3619 like this.

See more popular forum discussions.