• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Who takes Cortisol Manager? if not what is your alternative?

Plum

I have severe adrenal fatigue and have tried everything and anything for adrenal health. My concern with taking something to reduce your night time cortisol is what is your day time cortisol like?

Adrenal fatigue is common in ME with many variances possible. A reverse in cortisol output i.e. high at night and low during the day is common.

To learn more about adrenal issues there's a great book by Dr. Wilson http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adrenal-Fat...id=1366364226&sr=8-1&keywords=adrenal+fatigue While I don't agree with his treatment especially for severe adrenal issues, it is a very good book to learn from.

I think adrenal problems are hard to fix with ME. I would be looking more at why your levels are high at night. It is also common to have blood sugar imbalances at night which cause an adrenaline and cortisol surge. If this is the case I would consider dealing with this. In turn this will help with the night time cortisol problem without requiring supplementation.

Dr's are a bit too quick to recommend a pill whether pharmaceutical or supplement rather than looking for the root cause.

I am currently dealing with night time adrenaline surges and blood sugar imbalance and my eating pattern has had to change. 3 meals a day, 2 snacks inbetween and toast+butter+peanut butter half hour before bed. I am having some success with this and getting better sleep.

ukxmrv

I've got low cortisol and at night it's not high ( but higher than earlier times of the day)

Seriphos is an alternative supplement used by PWCFS with high night time cortisol but I don't know how much it costs in the USA

Plum

ukxmrv where have you had yr cortisol tested? I'm curious to find a cheaper way to have it done in the UK.

Ema

Here is a link to the product:

http://www.vitaminpartners.com/products/cortisol-manager-30-tablets

My Dr recently suggested I take the product to reduce my night time cortisol levels, but I was wondering if I might be able to find something more economical?

Otherwise this 1 supplement will cost me about $300/year!

Thanks in Advance,

GG
It's $40 for 90 capsules on Amazon. So that is at least cheaper.

There are lots of herbal adaptogens in that product but I would also consider trying phosphatidyl serine as an individual supplement. You can get it as a bulk powder and make capsules or just dump it in your mouth with water and swallow.

PS may also help to resensitize the neurons in the hypothalamus which may help to normalize your cortisol production.

Ema

ukxmrv

Hi Plum,
It was through Dr Hyams when he used to have a clinic in London. I think that he sent it to the Netherlands somewhere. Saliva tests through the day.

Also had blood tests and a short synacten through the NHS.

Sorry no idea of cheapest private test now. I've had them more than once but years ago now.

Plum

ukxmrv thanks for the info. I get mine through Genova for £110 - 4 saliva collections through the day/night

bertiedog

ukxmrv thanks for the info. I get mine through Genova for £110 - 4 saliva collections through the day/night

For anybody in the UK I can order the adrenal stress profile and other Genova tests because I have a diploma in nutrition and therefore have practioner status. I pass on the discounts that I get because I know what it is like to have this illness.

Just PM me if you want any further info.

Pam