• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Who says I'm not safe out on my own?

drjohn

Today, I went out for the first time in 22 days, to get a newspaper and some bits and pieces.

(Monty Python have an old sketch about Prince Walter having to go to buy 20 Rothmans and to bring back the correct change, in order to win the hand of Mitzi, the Princess with the wooden teeth http://www.themadmusicarchive.com/song_details.aspx?SongID=27602 - voice sample + text, some rude language)

People with the real McCoy M.E. will know what an acievement that can be after a dreadful relapse -- mine not Prince Walter's

I have had (still have) serious problems with inmbalance and feel unsafe on my feet. My doctor doesn't rule out vertigo due to a virus but, because I have had this for so many years, I think it is more likely to be Orthostatic Intolerance. My doctor came out to see me twice, prescribed some medication for high blood pressure (which seems to be working) and wrote a statement of unfitness for work for 6 months in the first instance. This was not deemed "sufficient" for the evil ATOS, who were pursuing me for the fifth time. I am pleased to say that I have beaten them off but, like Arnold Schwarzenegger, they will be back.

Who says I'm not safe out on my own?

Enid

Enjoyed that one drjohn - a sense of achievement indeed despite the denouement ! Must add on my first unsteady outing a police car drew up with 3 worried faces - "was I alright" - "Oh yes" says I - all my Docs had said nothing wrong. Can't trust my Docs it seems, but a great fan of the police.

Esther12

Sorry to hear about the relapse John, but pleased to feel you're feeling a bit more able to get out. Good luck with any further improvements.

drjohn

Thanks, Esther. The trick is, of course, not to overdo things. I know, I tell others to be careful but I am not so good at taking my own advice.

taniaaust1

I personally dont feel always safe out on my own (after a few CFS disasters while out where I had to ring someone to come and get me as I'd gotten quite incapable while out, not just affecting myself but also strangers about me). I usually always go out now with someone with me due to collapses and the brain fog which can hit suddenly and leave me then not knowing my way home even in a familiar area.

Yeah doctors say we arent all that bad, they'd soon change their minds if they were living with me to see.

drjohn

Hi taniaaust1, I have never actually collapsed in the street and I (or others) may wonder, what's the worst that could happen -- you fall over, someone picks you up? -- but the word I use in just "disconcerting". I guess most people feel safer in the house, where you can hang on to furniture to steady yourself and - if you should fall - it's probably a softer landing. Oh cheery me! John