• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

WHO Issues "Best Practices" For Naming Diseases

You know what bothers me about this?

The original name for HIV/AIDS fits the guidelines.

CFS fits the guidelines.

There is concern about stigmatizing places, trades, occupations, and concern about scaring patients, but no concern about stigmatizing patients.
I don't think CFS fits the guideline. It misrepresents the severity of the disease, and focuses on a pretty irrelevant symptom as well.

Gemini

Update:
Science Magazine, 15 May 2015--Infectious Diseases: "Rules of the Name-- To Avoid Offense, WHO Says No to People, Places, Food, or Animals in New Disease Names"

Ian Lipkin weighs in: ":The guide is well-intentioned, but goes too far...'I don't see how it will be helpful to eliminate names like monkeypox that provide insights into natural hosts and potential sources of infection.'"