1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
August 8th - What is the one thing about suffering with severe ME that the world needs to know?
Andrew Gladman brings our coverage of the Understanding & Remembrance Day for Severe ME, airing the voice of patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Who has tried robot vacuum cleaners?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle Management' started by MeSci, Jul 29, 2014.

1. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    One thing that has bothered me - could they flip over, and do they have an automatic cut-off if that happens? I have visions of finding a flipped-over robot with a terrified cat stuck to it! :eek:
    xchocoholic and Valentijn like this.
  2. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    And if they do have such an automatic cut-off, can it be disabled? I'd pay good money to see an upside Neato with a cat trapped on it by the suction :rofl:
  3. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    :mad:Then I would pay good money to see a flipped-over Neato with YOU stuck to it.

:love::cat::love:
    Valentijn likes this.
  4. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Eh, that sounds pretty fun too :D
    sueami, ukxmrv and MeSci like this.
  5. Indigophoton

Indigophoton

UK
    Interesting, I didn't know that.

Regarding floor coverage, when I was looking into these things originally, I found some time lapse videos on the web which showed that both the Neato and the Roomba got the whole floor. The Roomba just took a lot longer. The Neato overlaps its passes a little, just as a human would do, to avoid missing strips.

Of course the Roomba does have one excellent additional capability that, sadly, the Neato seems unable to match:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
    MeSci, SOC and ukxmrv like this.
  6. Indigophoton

Indigophoton

UK
    They are broad and squat, with quite a heavy battery, low to the ground, with a low centre of gravity, so very difficult to flip.

If it's picked up whilst in action, or lifted partially off the floor, it stops hoovering, and politely asks to be put back down.
    MeSci, SOC and Valentijn like this.
  7. PennyIA

PennyIA Senior Member

Iowa
    Someone beat me to the 'pick up turn off' feature and that they are very low to the ground, so you can't tip it over by bumping into it.

In addition, they have sensors, so if there are ledges or steps down, they won't go far enough over the edge that they'll go down either. So, I'm pretty sure your cat is safe.

Mine hid from the roomba. My dog found it quite curious until it realized it would pick up things like food crumbs, suddenly my dog didn't love it so much.
    MeSci and Valentijn like this.
  8. PennyIA

PennyIA Senior Member

Iowa
    While we're at it and talking about cleaning machines - and at least a couple have a cat. I just bought a new cat litter self-cleaning litter box. I'd tried the ones with a rake that scoops... only the rake would constantly have issues with the solid waste, ok with the clumping liquids. When I called the manufacturer they would claim that it was the brand of litter I used - it wasn't... I think my cats just don't do as good to bury their solid waste and the liquids clump better simply because they don't have to get buried. But the motor would burn out with the rake issue.

I've seen the littler boxes that flip over, but I was still worried about the screens getting gummed up just like the rake ones.

But a sister-in-law had bought a cat genie and couldn't say enough about it. This does NOT use clumping litter - it uses re-usable plastic pellets. The 'bowl' fills with water and cleans the plastic pellets and it 'grinds up' solids and disposes of the waste water with either your clothes washer waste pipe or you can hook it under the lid of the toilet so that it goes into the toilet bowl. Then it blows hot air onto the plastic pellets so they are dry for the cat's next use.

I haven't hooked mine up yet, but she adores hers... since there's no bin to dispose of and it just takes care of it all on it's own I would think it would be good for pwme who do have cats. The pellets do get tracked, but so does cat litter... I picked up some 'sticky' pads that are supposed to reduce tracking - but figure worst case - the roomba out to pick up the pellets (?) that might get tracked.
    ukxmrv, MeSci and Valentijn like this.

See more popular forum discussions.