1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hyperparathyroidism: An Often Overlooked Differential Diagnosis to ME/CFS
Andrew Gladman puts hyperparathyroidism under the microscope, exploring what the disease is, how it can mimic ME/CFS in presentation and how it is treated.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Who Gets to Define a Disease?

Discussion in 'Institute of Medicine (IOM) Government Contract' started by Ember, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Ember

Ember Senior Member

The Most Prevalent and Devastating Disease Your Doctor Has Never Heard Of

Jennifer Brea

Director, 'Canary in a Coal Mine'

Posted: 11/20/2013 9:43 am
    Read more...
  2. Ember

Ember Senior Member

3. Ember

Ember Senior Member

So far...35 people are discussing this article with 40 comments.
    Izola likes this.
  4. Izola

Izola Senior Member

Who gets to define Myalgic Encephalomyelitis? Evidently, the Psychiatrists, and for way far too long. Before 1984 there were doctors who recognized M.E. and treated it. They knew that immediate bed rest was essential for any hope of recovery and prevention of worsening physical damage.
    With a growing number M.E. outbreaks psychiatry saw gold and labeled it "psychosomatic" a somatization disorder. This definition also benefits insurance companies--cheaper treatment and very limited disability payouts. With Power and psychiatrists aligned it could be said it was inevitable that society became infested with this massive and deadly untruth. The disgusting name "chronic fatigue syndrome" was birthed in the bowels of the C.D.C., the knowledgeable clinicians and "Myalgic Encephalomyelitis" harangued out of the den.
    I have looked for, but have never found any scientific fact based research that proves that there is such a thing as somatoform disorders. Yes, stress can be damaging, That's physical, and it doesn't require monsters in your mind.
    Psychiatry began as theory, choose your pick, from Freud, Jung, Adler and so on, It is still based, in large part, on theory. Neurologists are primarily empirically based physicians, They find holes in our brains and other terrible malfunctions that impact horribly on the many functions of our bodies. Psychiatrists find only invisible "mental" and other undetectable aberrations they say they believe can be fixed by exercise and retraining our thoughts. Some say they can retrain our amygdala's. Yes. there's always classical conditioning, Pavlov and his dog and all. I can see, in my imagination, the amygdala as seal chirping and flapping its behind and salivating. The last I read the real scientists are still looking into rats' amygdales.
    Could shrinks be that far ahead? Now that's real lunacy.
    I have found no empirical data of measurable physical matter that points toward the reality of somatoform disorders. The greatest probability is that they are undiagnosed physical illnesses.
    So, a zillion MB of logic later, is it even possible that in recent decades some 17 to 20 million people on this earth started having mental problems posing as physical illnesses? Now, just how darn possible could it be that these same 20 million people have had their mental distress translated into 17 to 20 million identical complex core symptoms?.
    The psychiatrists and their cohorts are maiming and killing people. In war speak, they are committing atrocities of immeasurable proportions. War crimes in a very quiet war.
    With an M.E. uneducated panel for the IoM, many of us rightly fear that they will be swayed by the "somatization" nonsense notion of causality.
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
    justinreilly likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.