• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

WHO Classification

Yogi

I was hoping someone could help me.

I am not a member of the MEA and don't have access to the latest ME Essential magazine due to personal finances because of this illness.

I am interested in the article on the WHO classification and insurance companies.

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/?p=6797

The World Health Organisation classification of M.E., CFS and chronic fatigue. The reader asked: I am currently in dispute with an insurance company over the correct classification. Could you please confirm the current position?

Does anyone know what was written in response to this question.

I would be most grateful if anyone could respond.

Many thanks

Yogi

Thank you Suzy@MEAgenda.

Agreed - The MEA Q&A doesn't add much to what we already know.

I have read your website and it is very informative.

The issue I still have is: if a doctor knowingly, persistently and dishonestly falsely claims the wrong ICD code for an illness, can he be referred to the GMC and are they likely to act against the doctor?

Has anyone reported a doctor to the GMC on this very specific issue and what was the outcome?

ukxmrv

Yogi,

Why not ring the MEA and try to speak with Dr Shepherd. He had a meeting with insurance companies and may know more about this.

Is the doctor claiming the wrong code or using the wrong diagnosis? i.e do you have ME and the doctor concurs with this but has coded you specifically to another one?

(the reason I am asking that that I'm involved with legal/medical matters for myself right now)

Francelle

That is an excellent question Yogi. Your question prompts me to wonder how often deception happens by doctors filling in paperwork on this condition, in regard to this coding?

Surely there must be some comeback when it is discovered that an incorrect code (whether intentionally or unintentionally) has be used?

Would love to hear more on this.

Yogi

Thanks Francelle & XMRV for your comments.

It appears that ME and CFS are classified under G93.3 so that is good to know.

I was hoping that maybe someone had already made a complaint to the GMC and was interested in what the outcome was. It doesn't appear that anyone has. Unfortunately the GMC do not investigate or reprimand the bad doctors but only focus on the good doctors, as we all know.

If I do make a complaint I shall update.