1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
New Exercise Study Brings Both Illumination and Questions
Simon McGrath looks at new objective evidence of abnormal response to exercise in ME/CFS patients, and the questions that researchers are still trying to answer ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Whittemore Peterson Institute: XMRV: What's really important?

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by VillageLife, Jul 20, 2010.

1. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    HI muffin

This probably isn't the right thread, but something needs to be said about clusters. Every few years up until the early 90s there was a cluster outbreak. Several years had many cluster outbreaks, all over the world, not just one. I think one was 1955 or something, and the last was 1985. I think they aren't being reported now, but sometime there will be another mass cluster outbreak. Prior to the internet this could be ignored. When the next one happens, we should be all over the funding agencies, governments, etc. demanding serious funding.

Bye
    Alex

2. Eric Johnson from I&I

Eric Johnson from I&I Senior Member

I've thought about it a bit, and read Dr Hyde's views on it (in his book). I'd say it's debatable whether the same disease existed already in 1900. I lean slightly toward 'yes', but I am not very far from 50/50.

3. Levi

Levi Senior Member

XRMV is an old soul . . .

Well,

Microbiologists have been studying and publishing on XMRV's since the 1960's

http://vir.sgmjournals.org/cgi/reprint/52/1/189.pdf

Even Judy Mikovits seems to think that XMRV is not the complete answer;

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=chronic-fatigue-syndrome-retrovirus

HERV-K18 is probably tens of thousands of years old because, well, its endogenous.

4. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    As ridiculous as it sounds today, they did indeed to just that. For example, the cancers associated with peptic ulcer disease. We know how that turned out. ;)

5. VillageLife

VillageLife Senior Member

United Kingdom
    I think outbreaks were not aloud to be reported to the public from around the 90s!

6. knackers323

knackers323 Senior Member

can anyone explain how an outbreak happens on some occasions and not others? If there is an infectious cause, how does it spread so much at certain times and nearly not at all at others

7. V99

V99 *****

UK
    I believe it may have something to do with the life cycle of the retrovirus. XMRV may have come from one mouse, or perhaps several, with outbreaks each time this happens. Alternatively it may be to do with hygiene. If a kid gets it in a school it probably spreads quickly, an individual in the country not so much. At certain times it may be more transmissible than at others, perhaps the first few weeks, or when you have another virus reactivating, or when they are not reactivating. There are lots of explanations to be explored to know why.

8. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Hi

I have wondered about this from time to time. I don't really know. I don't think it is because of different strains. I suspect it is very much to do with coinfections, and the wrong strain of EBV, for example, will trigger XMRV in a susceptible population much more often than other pathogens. This may be coupled with geographic factors in the distibution of XMRV.

Bye
    Alex

See more popular forum discussions.