1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Whittemore Institute suing Mikovits for alleged theft of lab notebooks and data

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by Lee, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Lee

Lee

"A little more than 1 month after firing Mikovits, the Whittemore Peterson Institute for Neuro-Immune Disease (WPI) on 4 November filed suit against its former research director. According to WPI, after Mikovits was terminated on 29 September, she wrongfully removed laboratory notebooks and kept other proprietary information on her laptop and in flash drives and in a personal e-mail account. WPI, a nonprofit organization that's based on the campus of the University of Nevada, Reno, also won a temporary restraining order that forbids Mikovits from "destroying, deleting, or altering" any of the related files or data."

http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceinsider/2011/11/lawsuit-filed-against-chronic-fatigue.html

Read the article - the notebooks have disappeared. JM denies having them. They aren't in the desk where she was known to keep them. No one else had a key to that desk.

Where's the data?

2. Francelle

Francelle Senior Member

Victoria, Australia
    P A T H E T I C!

Definitely not elevating my opinion of the WPI, regardless of whether or not JM has the notebooks.

dipic and Enid like this.
  3. Deatheye

Deatheye Senior Member

The statment that noone else had a key is a bit missleading. I don't know where anymore but somewhere on this forum someone posted a link where it was stated that the key was accessable for the emplyes cause mikovits was often somewhere else in the world and left the key in the building in case the people there needed access to here stuff.
    EDIT AS kina says below, JMs laywers letter is what I mean.
    AS an IT guy btw I can't understand how a research institute have importand data on a laptop ... Aside form stuff like stealing, what would they do if the HDD says byebye?... Actually what ever is going on in the end its the lack of IT concepts and bite them...

4. Kina

Kina Moderation Team Lead

Ontario, Canada
    I personally think it's best to avoid making comments about this case at all. There has been a lot of speculation and sometimes libel on some forums and blogs. The only information that we have is 1. a statement from Ms. Mikovits lawyer and 2. a statement from Ms. Whittemore. There is no more. We can only speculate and opine about what these statements actually mean.

Jenny, leela, Bob and 3 others like this.
  5. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

I think there will be only losers in this conflict... the patients are definitely on the losing side.

taniaaust1 likes this.
  6. Lee

Lee

There are a lot of questions about the data and notebooks right now. Does no one but me see the disappearance of the data and notebooks as, well.. awfully convenient for someone?

taniaaust1, being and justy like this.
  7. Sing

Sing Senior Member

New England
    I don't know what is going on. I am sorry that this has happened but I feel it is best to forbear from interpretation and analysis, and especially from drawing conclusions, which could easily be mistaken. Let's hope that the parties involved get back on their feet quickly and move ahead. What we need is research and progress, not more blame, fights and dead ends. Sometimes people have done something which is definitely wrong and other times what they have done is make mistakes. Even when people are engaging in blame and fighting, let's keep out of it.

It is like an inflamatory response. Let's keep it cool/

leela likes this.
  8. floydguy

floydguy Senior Member

What is the purpose of these forums? For well over 20 years ME (CFS) has been nothing but speculation, innuendo, terrible "science", etc. Methinks such comments are an attempt to squelch freedom of speech and encourage a status quo that has done little to advance our plight. Sounds like the CDC or Unum talking to me...

9. Dreambirdie

Dreambirdie work in progress

N. California
    I have learned a lot more about science and scientists these past few years than I ever wanted to know, and I am not impressed.

I hope they find a cure for DRAMA real soon. There's way too much of it going around.

dannybex, madietodd, mezombie and 5 others like this.
  10. Kina

Kina Moderation Team Lead

Ontario, Canada
    floydguy -- you asked the purpose of these forums. I think purpose is defined by individual users. Some come to give support, some come to receive support, some come for information, some come to give information, some come to advocate etc. There are many different purposes for this forum.

I am not attempting to squelch freedom of speech and encourage a status quo. There is a court case between WPI and Judy Mikovits. The only information from either party comes from Annette Whittemore in a blog post and Ms Mikovits' lawyer. Any other comments coming from individuals on blogs and forums is basically nothing but innuendo and speculation, that same innuendo and speculation that has been occuring for the past 20 years that you just mentioned. My comment actually had more to do with one thread about this case already being closed due to speculation and innuendo.

I am hoping that Judy Mikovits can continue her research at another lab very soon. I am hoping that the WPI also continues researching too. I am hoping that Lipkin does some deep sequencing and completes his two studies. I am not encouraging anything except basically what Sing said:

Sean and Bob like this.
  11. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Pity they could not talk to each other in the first place - academia I hear is sharing findings. The rest is pathetic.

12. floydguy

floydguy Senior Member

Okay. Perhaps I was a bit quick to jump the gun but I hate to see libel tossed around as a possible way to distract from what's going on. Personally, I am waiting for more information to come out. I think we can all agree that this whole thing is a mess and a shame - regardless of one's position on WPI's research.

13. Sean

Sean Senior Member

This is going to end well.

Not.

14. allyann

allyann Senior Member

Melbourne Australia
  15. Rrrr

Rrrr Senior Member

16. kurt

kurt Senior Member

USA.Earth
    Do we really need another thread where people speculate about a crime? I think we need to leave this topic alone until investigations are completed, particularly since there are forum members who know the involved/accused parties personally.

Bob and Jenny like this.
  17. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Hi, I agree with Kurt, its probably far better not to speculate on this. We don't have most of the facts and this is a legal issue unfolding. After the investigations are done, when we have some facts, then we might like to write about it. Bye, Alex

Bob likes this.
  18. justy

justy Senior Member

U.K
    Whilst i do agree in principle with both Kurt and Alex i would like to point out that patients have been asked to donate money and precious energy to the cause of the WPI and i think if i am dontaing to a charitable cause no matter how laudable i would like to be certain everyone involved was acting appropriately. You cant ask people to be involved only when it suits and then tell them to butt out when it doesnt.
    Just another POV, but i agree that specualtion is pointless, draining and possibly libelous so ill be quiet now.
    All the best, Justy.

19. pine108kell

pine108kell Senior Member

20. GaryK

GaryK

Canada Niagara Falls

See more popular forum discussions.