Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

White Tongue Discoloration

Discussion in 'Skeleton, Skin, Muscles, Hair, Teeth, and Nails' started by undiagnosed, Mar 13, 2017.

?

Rate your level of white tongue discoloration with respect to the image below

1. No white discoloration

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Less white discoloration

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  3. Similar white discoloration

11 vote(s)
    52.4%
  4. More white discoloration

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  1. undiagnosed

undiagnosed Senior Member

United States
    I would like to sample the community here to estimate the prevalence and severity of self-reported white tongue discoloration based on visual inspection. Could you please select the most appropriate choice for yourself from the poll above. I appear to have inflamed filiform papillae with a white discoloration and possible bacterial or fungal colonization. The image below shows white discoloration where individual filiform papillae can be seen towards the edges and larger patches are visible towards the back. The dark color at the back of the tongue is from the poor lighting in the back of the mouth and is not part of the tongue color.

[​IMG]

2. Battery Muncher

Battery Muncher Senior Member

Looks like lichens planus/ geographic tongue

3. undiagnosed

United States
    Don't think I agree. Care to elaborate on your reasoning?

4. Dainty

Dainty Senior Member

Seattle
    For me white tongue means candida overgrowth, also known as thrush. It goes away with caprylic acid supplements and avoiding sugar.

5. undiagnosed

United States
    It's one of the possible explanations for white tongue coloration. I haven't taken any antifungals but I don't eat much sugar. My tongue condition has been chronic (years).

Webdog likes this.
  6. Hip

Hip Senior Member

To my knowledge, there are four different types of white tongue coating:

Geographic tongue (also called benign migratory glossitis). With geographic tongue, there are often patches and borders that look a bit like a geographic map (hence the name geographic tongue). IL-1B polymorphisms are a risk factor for developing geographic tongue. 1

Oral candidiasis (also called oral thrush) which is caused by a Candida infection, and may appear not just on the tongue, but also on other areas of the mouth, such as the roof of the mouth. Oral candidiasis also has a texture looking a bit like cottage cheese.

Oral hairy leukoplakia, which tends to be located on the sides of the tongue. This is caused by Epstein-Barr virus, but only in immunocompromised patients such as HIV patients.

Leukoplakia, which can occur on tongue and on other areas of the oral mucous membranes. Leukoplakia is linked to an increased risk of mouth cancer.

There is also:

Black hairy tongue, which is thought to be caused by bacteria or fungi in the mouth. These micro-organisms build up on the papillae on the tongue surface, causing a lengthening of the papillae, with the papillae stained by the micro-organisms, or by food, tobacco, etc. Hairy tongue is most often black, but the tongue can also turn brown, yellow, green, or other colors.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    Skycloud likes this.
  7. undiagnosed

United States
    @Hip, I think hairy tongue would also be on the list. It can be various colors including white and is caused by hypertrophy of the filiform papillae. This can also result in overgrowth of various microorganisms.

Hip likes this.
  8. Hip

Hip Senior Member

That's a new one for me, interesting. So that's 5 different types of tongue coating. I have updated my above post accordingly.

9. taroopher

taroopher

alright but, did anyone had success treating it?

10. Webdog

Webdog Up to 91% remain undiagnosed

California
    Nutriibiotic Throat Spray cleared up my tongue coating in about 2 weeks. I bought it on Amazon for about $10.

taroopher likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.