1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

White PD (2010): CFS - Is it 1 discrete syndrome or many? Implications for FSS debate

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I don't think this is an important paper (quite the opposite) but I made a few comments and thought I'd post them somewhere

(Hasn't reached PubMed yet)

2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

(Not exciting) Some commentary

I just read the White paper. Not sure if there is a word for a collection of not-exciting studies (or a review of such studies) but if there was, this might be a good example.

All those CDC studies may sound impressive but they used the empiric criteria (means shouldn't count at all as CFS studies in my book) and despite what they said, the "biomarkers" were generally basic blood tests.

The naming of the classes was dodgy e.g. what constitutes obesity. To say that the second study replicated the first is really bending the truth. I posted three comments on the replication study:
    http://www.pophealthmetrics.com/content/7/1/17/comments which deal with some of my criticisms.

About the only useful thing I got out of it is some quotes that could be used to show understanding the aetiology and pathophysiology of a condition can be useful (people may remember the MRC Research Strategy said they weren't that important):

Earlier, he also said:
    The criticism is probably true for some phenotypes:
    e.g. one of them referenced was:
    but I didn't have much confidence in the phenotypes when I read it (people's symptoms can change over time - I know mine have - so collections of symptoms at any one time may not give solid subgroups).

Tom

3. Koan

Koan Be the change.

Forgive me, but, to us it is our very lives... to them it is just slicing off a piece of the pie.

I don't buy the subsets and the divide and conquer strategy.

We know who we are.

4. Koan

Koan Be the change.

Tom, just want to say, I see you as a brother.

Peace out,
    Koan

See more popular forum discussions.