The Real ME: A Stock Photography Resource for the Media
We’ve all seen them in the news stories about ME/CFS: the guy in a suit at the office, yawning; the beautiful woman sitting at her desk with her immaculate make-up and elegantly coiffed hair, hand to her head and looking slightly pained.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

White blood cells

Discussion in 'Immunological' started by James_B, Aug 23, 2016.

1. James_B

James_B

Hi everybody!

What is the white blood cell signature for ME?

I have one of the family(don't remember which one) at 1.0 but they should be from 1.5 +

I wonder if ME does this? I am not so eager to get a spike into the hip bone for testing this.

Just wondering. :)

Take care!

2. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    I'm not sure what the ME norm is but when I had a virus recently my white cells went low is that normal?

3. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    I don't know if there is a white blood cell signature for ME; however, I believe it's very common for people with ME to have a low white blood cell count. Mine has been low for probably 20 years. The doctors never seem concerned and just shrug. Although of course my immune system is defective, I have hard time fighting viruses, etc.

I recently found this article, which lists various causes of neutropenia, and one of them is deficiency of B12, folate or copper - sound familiar?
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/265373.php

I'm not sure what you mean by having a spike in your hip bone; a simple blood test will give you your WBC count.

MikeV and James_B like this.
  4. Tammy

Tammy Senior Member

New Mexico
    With virus your white cells can be high or low.

wastwater and James_B like this.
  5. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem All Good Things Must Come to an End

When I got the infection that started all of this, I went back to the clinic (twice) to tell them that I was not recovering well. They told me (twice) that I could not still be sick because my temperature and WBC were low. Not normal, mind you, but low. :bang-head:

6. MikeV

MikeV

Napa, California
    I know one way to obtain a bone marrow biopsy to test for leukemia is to go in at the hip bone.

I just found out my white cell count and ABSOLUTE NEUTROPHILS are low.

7. James_B

James_B

Ok, was it painful? they say bones get harder by age.

8. MikeV

MikeV

Napa, California
    I have not had the leukemia biopsy procedure done.
    You get your white blood cell count from a simple blood draw.

9. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

For the routine CBC panel, there isn't one. Sometimes mild eosinophilia (7-10%).

The CD4:CD8 ratio may be abnormally high in the acute phase, then becoming abormally low in the chronic phase.

Lymphocytes perhaps? You can get a lymphocyte subset panel which can show which specific types are low. As alluded to above, in acute patients it's the CD8+ lymphocytes that are low, but in the chronic patients it's the CD4+ that drops, causing the ratio changes.

James_B likes this.
  10. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    A bone marrow test is only done when the diagnosis isn't clear. For example, it's possible to diagnose leukemia from a regular blood sample. A bone marrow test is hard on the patient and will only be done when other test results are inconclusive and the clinical picture leads to suspicion of something serious (possibly life-threatening) going on, such as leukemia or lymphoma. I doubt that ME alone would be considered life-threatening. Life-altering, yes, but not life-threatening.
    http://patient.info/health/bone-marrow-biopsy-and-aspiration
    Here's Dr. Myhill's take on hematology in ME/CFS:
    http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/haematology_-_interpretation

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    cfs6691, merylg and James_B like this.
  11. mtnbibliophile

mtnbibliophile

This question would be strange anywhere other than a CFS/ME forum, but I'm concerned that after having had high WBC counts for years, my last one was normal. The high WBC counts seemed appropriate as an indication that my immune system was trying to fight the underlying infections linked to CFS/ME that I have (CMV, HHV- VI, EBV, and Chlamydia Pneumoniae). Now I'm taking a drug for my leukemia that has reduced my WBC. It seems to me that that means my immune system is not combating the underlying infections as strongly, which would account for my greatly increased fatigue and other CFS/ME symptoms. Anyone have any thoughts?

12. James_B

James_B

See more popular forum discussions.