• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Which supplement might be helping me?

Hi, as I people here are much more informed about supplements than me I wondered if anyone would be able to help identify which supplement is helping me.
In brief, I've been diagnosed with moderate m.e. for 6 years (though with hindsight was mildly ill with m.e. for another 10 years before a big relapse). Over that time I've had increasing bowel problems & was investigated for crohns (not diagnosed). The only thing that helped was adopting an low fibre IBD diet, so barely any fruit/vegetables, no nuts/seeds, etc, but despite this I still had upset stomachs most days, just no where near as severely as when I had more fibre.
A few weeks ago I started using a protein powder (PhD Diet Whey) to see if it helps stablise my blood sugar. I mix one scoop with my porridge in the morning and that's it. Within a few days it made a huge difference to my bowel symptoms, it hasn't fixed them but I feel able to (very slowly) try reintroducing some foods I've had to exclude.
I don't think it's the protein itself that's making the difference, as increasing my protein intake in other ways has not made this difference. My glands seem a little less swollen (I'm not sure) so I'm wondering if it's a general reduction in inflammation? The powder advertises a number of active ingredients (listed at the end of the post) so I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of them and has an idea which may be helping? I'm basically paranoid they're going to change the formula so I'd like to know what it is that's actually helping! (I also have a hormonal balance that can affect things so I know I need to give it at least a couple of monthly cycles to know for sure it is the powder and not hormonal fluctuation which is making the difference).
Many thanks for your help!

PhD Diet Whey advertised active ingredients: CLA & L-Carnitine, Green Tea Extract, Flaxseed powder

Full ingredients list: PhD premium protein blend (Whey* Protein Concentrate, Milk Protein Concentrate {Of which 80% is Micellar Casein}, Soya Protein Isolate), Fat reduced Cocoa Powder, Waxy Barley flour, Golden Brown Flaxseed Powder, Thickeners (Acacia Gum, Guar Gum, Xanthan Gum), Flavouring, Conjugated Linoleic Acid Powder (Contains Milk protein, Soya Lecithin, Vitamin E), Acetyl-L-Carnitine, Green Tea Extract, Sodium Chloride, Sweetener (Sucralose). *from milk

ukxmrv

Dr Cheney used to use Whey protein for his CFS patients. The theory way back then was that the whey would increase Glutathione in his patients. I tested low of Glutathione (wasn't a patient of his but saw someone who worked with him previously) but I couldn't tolerate it. My ME viral symptoms got worse on small amounts. It could have been because it was milk based.

From the list of ingredients I find AL- Carnitine does increase my strength and endurance. Other things could be doing you well there.

Not sure what would be helping with bowel symptoms in particular but hopefully some one here will know.

Interesting, thanks. I'd seen that nearly all people with chronic illness test low for glutathione, but didn't realise whey might help with that.