• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Which studies are most prominent within the ME/CFS community?

Hi there,

I'm a newcomer to scientific research for ME/CFS. In my reading so far Ron Davis, Robert Naviaux and Jose Montoya seem to be the names which are cited the most.

The reason I ask is because I'm attempting to summarise research into images which can be easily understood and shared across the Internet (see my original thread here: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/infographics-archive.55912/ )

After a bit of research I found these 2 studies:

'Metabolic features of chronic fatigue syndrome' by Naviaux
( https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5027464/ )

'Cytokine signature associated with disease severity in chronic fatigue syndrome patients'
by Jose G. Montoya
( http://www.pnas.org/content/114/34/E7150.full?sid=4fca51a6-9278-402d-af47-48d7aedc67f1 )

Could someone point me towards studies by Ron Davis?

And are there any other researchers I should be looking at?

Thanks

PS. To give you an idea, below is a draft image I created yesterday based on Naviaux's work

_Naviaux PR Draft.png

Hip

And are there any other researchers I should be looking at?

A good way to dip into the many areas of ME/CFS research might be via the Phoenix Rising articles, which you can find archived here. Have a look at the Categories pop-up menu on the right of that page, which lists dozens of different ME/CFS research categories.

You will find a similar set of articles and categories on Health Rising.

Countrygirl

@Hip , who is keeping the research articles up to date, do you know? There is the new one on Nov 10th, but I don't recall seeing it in the research papers.

Hajnalka

Prof. Ron Davis hasn't published on ME yet, but you might be able to extract information for your graphics from his talks, e.g. this one:
More of his talks are on the OMF youtube channel.

I guess you just would need to be extra careful how to present unpublished data (and I know nothing about copyright etc). The talks include very interesting information about a possible factor in the serum and a disrupted metabolism:

Snap1473769_zpshgmdmecm.png

Snap1473763_zpsrwtpohq3.png

Hip

who is keeping the research articles up to date, do you know? There is the new one on Nov 10th, but I don't recall seeing it in the research papers.

You mean editing the old articles to update them when necessary? I don't think anyone has ever done that.

Thanks for quick & varied replies everyone! That will keep me busy over the next few weeks.

I guess you just would need to be extra careful how to present unpublished data
- Thanks for highlighting this @Joh. Not something I considered. I will start with published studies so won't be a problem in the near future, but maybe something to consider as I progress.