• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Which SNP(s) do you treat first?

ebethc

Hi - how do you know which order to treat the SNP / mutations? I've seen 2 naturopaths this summer and neither one helped, so I'm back to square one..One of them said that the homozygous are necessarily the top priority - which was surprising. Also, I experimented with glutathione this summer... which made me VERY sick, (I now know is part of my methylation problem... )

Thanks - in advance - if anyone can help me rank these!

MY MUTATIONS*

4 homozygous +/+
BHMT-02
BHMT-08
MAO A R297R
CBS C699T

8 heterozygous +/-
MTHFR A1298C
COMT V158M
COMT H62H
VDR Taq
VDR Bsm
ACAT1-02
MTRR A66G
MTRR K350A

* I used 23andme, then Genetic Genie & Livewello. the mutations above are the "short list" after cross-referencing w Yasko's list. thanks

ebethc

thanks, Valentijn... I definitely feel like I have a methylation problem :) I feel like I'm walking around w 30% of the flu all the time (bad brain fog, joint pain/aches, ibs) and I do get sick frequently. I am hypothyroid but my meds for that are good... i wonder if for some reason the thyroid hormones can't get into my cells?? or can't be used, like there's some co-factor that's deficient? I think that's the only other thing that could make me feel like this besides the methylation...

Critterina

Hi - how do you know which order to treat the SNP / mutations?

@ebethc ,

I agree with Valentijn that it could be a lot worse. But since you feel bad, you may try methylation supplements and see if they do any good. I disagree with treating the homozygous first, but I'm not a doctor or any kind of expert, just someone who thinks they are entitled to their own opinion.

I also, personally, think that very few SNPs are worth treating without symptoms and lab results. For example, BHMT-08: is your homocysteine high? The VDRs: have you had your vitamin D checked? MTHFR A1298C: do you have any of the symptoms associated? Since you're on this website and you describe brain fog and IBS, I'd start with that one.

MAO A is not an SNP that I think gets treated, but that treatment is shaped around. And the COMT and VDRs play into that shaping. The ultimate question from these is: do you react poorly to supplements with a lot of methyl groups? Have you tried methylB12 or trimethylglycine (TMG)?

So, my order of preference in addressing these is:

MTHFR A1298C (methylfolate)
MTRR A66G (methyl or hydroxy B12)

and maybe later or with lab results
CBS C699T if homocysteine is high (B6 or P5P, not both)
BHMT-08 if homocysteine is high (TMG)

VDR (Vitamin D) with lab results and a medical practitioner's advice

I wouldn't start the B12 before the methylfolate. I might start them together or a week apart, or I might increase the folate, starting with a low dose until you either feel something or are taking at least 400-1000 mcg, then start the B12, which will redirect some of the methylfolate to the methylation pathway. If you add B12 later, you may feel like you're losing ground gained with methylfolate. If so, you may want to increase the methylfolate a bit.

These are just my thoughts, what I would do if I had these SNPs and the symptoms you describe. You might also consider Freddd's protocol. It has some basic support supplements plus adenosylB12 and L-carnitine fumarate in addition to the first two I mentioned.

Best of luck with this,
Critterina

Critterina

i wonder if for some reason the thyroid hormones can't get into my cells?? or can't be used, like there's some co-factor that's deficient?
Genova diagnostics does a NutraEval test that evaluates a lot of those things. (If you have insurance, you pay a set price and they collect whatever they can from your insurance, but never come back to you for more. Last year it was $159) Might be worth a try. You need a doctor to order it, though.