• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Which is better PU or PVC for MCS sufferers?

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I've recently bought a latex bed which is still residing in the spare bedroom, wrapped in its polythene delvery wrapper and in its thick cover it doesn't seem to smell too badly now, but the polythene crackles like mad so its not an option for sleeping on. My plan is to fit 2 waterproof mattress covers, one on the top and one on the bottom so its sealed in, then the thick cover, a mattress protector, a furry mattress cover, sheet, then me!! But some of the waterproof mattress protectors are PU and I don't know if I should risk this, the polythene doesn't seem to be smelling through the cover, so should I stick with that, its just that most polythene ones seem to have anti/bac anti/fungal treatments which I certainly dont want. Any suggestion would be gratefully received.
God its taken me 3 years to decide on a bed and now I've got myself into this mess. The world of MCS folks, good innit?

Ema

I have a Tempur-Pedic bed that I adore...but it did smell for the first few days.

Can you take it out of the polythene wrapper and just let it air for a few days in a room with the window open? You can put baking soda in a cake pan under the bed to help with the smell as well.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Thanks Ema
I did take it out of the wrapper when it first came, I put it outside for 6 days because of the smell, then when it started raining back into the bedroom unwrapped for another 10 days and now wrapped up again for 2 days which seems to have reduced the smell but I couldn't sleep on the crackling polythene.

hixxy

Your bed needs to be your sanctuary away fro chemicals to recover. I hope you can get this right for your own sake! I personally sleep with nothing that isn't organic and even then I outgas the horrible organic smell. My MCS is very severe though.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Mine is too hixxy, its an absolute pain, I'll keep on trolling around the internet and make a decision soon, having a bad back doesn't help, I really need to get this mattress job sorted.

xrunner

When I had problems with smells, which I did for a about a year and it was torture, I had to replace my mattress because it gave me reactions at night. So I bought an organic wool mattress but unfortunately I found I couldn't tolerate its smell either.
I could only manage because I covered the mattress with layers of towels which I had to replace regularly to get rid of the smell they had absorbed (had to soak them in soda bicarbonate).
(Eventually I tried a John Lewis mattress and found it didn't smell of anything particularly and was able to tolerate that, but that's me).

maryb

iherb code TAK122
xrunner - So you obviously had MCS to a degree, great for you that its gone now.
Re your xperience with mattresses, thats the thing with this problem, you don't know until you try something whether you can tolerate it, from what I've read I thought natural latex would be tolerable:(
Wool is always a ?? for me, it does smell even the organic stuff.
I've even thought about an ex-display one from Ikea, I'll still continue looking at covers and see if that works first before I go buying another one.