1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Ergonomics and ME/CFS: Have You Hurt Yourself Without Knowing It?
Having a chronic illness like ME/CFS can make it hard to avoid problems that come from bad ergonomics. Jody Smith has learned some lessons the hard way ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Which form of niacinimide?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by maryb, Nov 21, 2013.

1. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    I'm low in B3 and doc said to take niacinamide. I called into the pharmacy this afternoon and was faced with 4 different forms - all Solgar.....WtH
    Can someone direct me to the best one - also seem to remember a non flushing one??

I don't seem to be able to tolerate the bcomplexes so maybe I'll just have to try them one at a time, oh hell....

2. Sea

Sea Senior Member

NSW Australia
    I know very little about this mary, I'm sure others who know more will chime in. I'm pretty sure though that the flushing happens with Niacin but not with Niacinamide

3. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    The flushing is from nicotinic acid which is part of what is typically called niacin.

Niacinamide is the other part contained in niacin and it doesn't cause flushing.

I had a hard time with flushing because the vasodilation increased my pain levels especially in my head. I'm tolerating niacinamide at 1000 mg twice daily just fine though. At that dose, it is thought to have antibacterial effects as well.

FWIW, I am taking the Thorne version of niacinamide.

Ema

maryb likes this.
  4. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Any reported dangers with a high dose of niacinamide? I've only been taking 500 mg per day.

Sushi

maryb likes this.
  5. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    Wikipedia, the grail of all knowledge, says doses up to 3g a day are not associated with liver toxicity.

maryb likes this.
  6. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    thanks people @Ema I've ordered the Thorne one from iherb, - ridiculous that its cheaper than buying it the UK - now wonder they call it 'rip off Britain'
    I'm so glad I didn't buy the niacin yesterday - I get so confused when confronted with someone who is obviously knowledgeable but not really telling me what I want!!!

Ema likes this.
  7. undcvr

undcvr Senior Member

NYC
    I've read doses at up to 1-2 gm a day for alzheimer's but doesn't niacinamide quech methylation ? And you should not be taking it with methlyB12 ? I was told NADH is the best most active form of B3. It does work but it is also very expensive.

8. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    I don't think it quenches methylation so much as soaks up excessive methyl groups. So if you are an overmethylator, it is beneficial in that respect. I'm not sure that it does anything if undermethylation is the problem.

I've wondered about taking it apart from mB12. I currently take mB12 about an hour before the AM dose of niacinamide.

I didn't have any luck with NADH. I don't think it can survive the digestive tract. I don't believe it is well absorbed sublingually as well. And it doesn't have the antibiotic benefits of niacinamide.

Ema

9. Kimsie

Kimsie Senior Member

The orthomolecular doctors have been using niacinamide in doses up to 6 grams a day for about 60 years without anyone having liver damage. The people who have had actual liver damage were taking time release niacin, not niacinamide.

See more popular forum discussions.