• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Which form of L-methylfolate? (Freddd's protocol)

Hi,

I'm new here and so glad and grateful that I've found this group.

I am eager to start on Freddd's protocol, and am new to it.

I am in the process of getting all my supps together for the protocol, and was wondering what kind of L-methylfolate I should get?

I looked at the supplement website I was ordering from, and when I typed in "l-methylfolate" , I got several supplements shown. But under their ingredients lists, they list different things, like...

- Methyltetrahydrofolic acid, glucosamine salt
- Metafolin
- L-5 methyltetrahydrofolate
- QUATREFOLIC® (6S-5-methyl tetrahydrofolate glucosamine salt) (which I guess Quatrefolic is the brand name of that type of L-methylfolate)

Are these all the exact same thing, or are there any differences between them?

Which of them should I choose? (Which is the correct form of L-methylfolate I'm looking for?)

How does this supp look?

http://www.vitacost.com/jarrow-formulas-methyl-folate-400-mcg-60-capsules

I hope to hear from you soon! Thank you!

PeterPositive

Those are all valid forms of methylfolate. Personally I prefer Metafolin, it's the one that has less side effects at least for me. You can experiment with different forms, but technically they should all work fine.

Good luck
P.s. The Jarrow product is fine

alicec

Metafolin is the same stuff that is in Deplin, patented by Merck. This is the stuff that Freddd uses.

The quatrefolic is a more recent addition, designed to get around Merck's patent.

The two might have slightly different effects but both should work. Freddd says that the quatrefolic is slightly less potent for him.

I have tried both, probably have a slight preference for the metafolin.

Essentially you want the L or 6S form. If it doesn't specify which, don't use it (likely to be a mixture of active and inactive racemic forms)

If you are just starting out it probably doesn't really matter. If you have trouble with one it could be worth trying the other form.