• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Which foods feed which gut microbes?

Aileen

(This is probably a poor title for this thread but I can't think of anything right now - suggestions welcome)

Anyone know what gut bugs would cause me to have instant hunger, fatigue, bloating, burping, heaviness and later progress to headache after eating fresh strawberries?

I am on a very restricted diet because almost everything causes symptoms, usually horrible migraines, including vomiting. The past couple weeks I have tried a small amount of strawberries (local) as they are now in season. Haven't had fruit in quite some time.

It would appear that there are some misbehaving gut microbes that are enjoying the fresh strawberries even more than I did. (they were really good! :D) I became ravenously hungry half way through my small bowl of berries. Now, almost 12 hours later, the culprits are still demanding more. (not gonna happen)

I am assuming this is a clue to what is wrong. But I don't know what exactly is in the strawberries that the bad microbes are loving or which microbes are causing the problem.

Does this suggest which prebiotics I should take or avoid?

acer2000

Its tough to say, but if you notice the symptoms soon after eating, you might want to get tested for SIBO. Either that or try out the FODMAP diet (or both - they are related). Certain kinds of carbs can cause bacteria to ferment food in the small bowel. Technically these bacteria shouldn't be there. Its also possible to have sensitivities to certain classes of foods or types of sugars/fats/etc. Are there any patterns to which foods cause your symptoms?

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@Aileen
strawberries are high in histamine..
I can't eat them any longer, they caused my left eye to droop almost instantly....horrible, I love raspberries most of all but am far too frightened to eat them now.