1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Phoenix Rising Adds Two New Board Members
Mark Berry introduces the new President of Phoenix Rising, Dr. Gary Solomon, and welcomes Professor Jonathan Edwards to the Phoenix Rising Board of Directors.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

which AV to try for herpes zoster as potential cause of my ME?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by clive powney, Oct 14, 2012.

1. clive powney

clive powney Senior Member

coventry
    I have pretty much tried everything except AVs and I have always suspected that the herpes zoster virus was the cause of my ME. My ME began 10 years ago when I had shingles and has got worse over time - Although I have not had shingles again since , just a decline in my wellness. I tested IGG positive for the virus in 2005 through an NHS test , but am unsure if everyone who has had chicken pox and shingles would still test positive 3 years after a bout anyway??
    Which AV would be the best to try, what dose and where is the best place to guarantee a decent supply for a decent price.? I am due to see my GP later this week and I will ask him to monitor liver and kidney function whilst trying.
    Any advise would be great thanks

2. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    You might have a look at this link:

http://phoenixrising.me/archives/5199

Have you tested for any other common viruses like EBV, CMV, HHV6? This would make a difference to me because if EBV is not present, I would probably try Valtrex first. If EBV is present, I would probably go for Famvir.

Most of the antivirals (with the possible exception of Valcyte) seem to be pretty inoffensive to the liver and kidneys which is good news for those of us on longer-term therapy.

SOC and heapsreal like this.
  3. clive powney

coventry
    Thanks for this ema - Dr dantini's onset seems to be similar to mine so very interesting!
    Has anyone got any idea of how much Dr Dantini charges - I assume that i would need initial bloodwork followed by consultations and AV treatment

4. tandrsc

tandrsc

UK
    There are a few plant extracts that appear to be antiviral against the herpes range. Here are are couple on Pubmed that have been shown to be effective against zoster:

Propolis:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=propolis zoster

Blackcurrent:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=ribes zoster

I have the same line of thinking as you and was encouraged to try antiviral herbs after seeing Dr Montoya's presentation regarding his success with antiviral treatment.

Just providing the link like this so that the video doesn't embed.
    Code:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Riybtt6SChU
    I think the chances of persuading my doctor to try antiviral drugs is slim, so I thought there was no harm in doing some homework and trying antiviral herbs instead. I take:

Propolis - active against HSV-1, EBV and is possibly immunomodulatory
    Astragalus - active against a variety of viruses and is possibly immunomodulatory
    Ginger - active against a variety of viruses and is possibly immunomodulatory
    Turmeric - active against EBV and is possibly immunomodulatory
    Lemon balm - active against HSV-1

My decisions were based on the information I could find (and understand) on Pubmed.

I added one at a time to check for adverse reactions, and I can honestly say that I seem to be making a slow but steady recovery in that I am now able to build up what I do by gradually reducing the length of my rest periods.

5. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    go the famvir, 250mg twice a day. Theres not too many of us diieing of liver failure yet. Use NAC and lipoic acid to protect kidney and liver function and u will be right.

cheers!!!

6. clive powney

coventry
    Thanks for getting back both!
    Heaps, is 250mg twicew a day a big enough dosage - I have read that 3mg per day may be needed?

Where is the best place to get the famvir from - I looked at magic pharma and they have 2 brands (cipla + macleods) one is under £1 a tablet (mcleods) and the other £2+ (cipla) - are these ok? Other places on the internet seem to be up to £20 per tablet.

What is the dose of NAC + lipoic acid needed and wherte is the best place to get them from?

thanks once again both - if this does work I would probably maintain with the herbal remidies

7. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Magicpharma are good to go, either brand, i use whatever one is cheapest. I order NAC/Lipoic acid from iherb, generall NOW brand or Dr's Best.

Dosing depends as many people have used different doses and been effective. Shingles etc is a quick replicating virus so dosing is 4 times a day. ebv/cmv/hhv6 are generally a slow replicating virus so can be dosed less often, twice a day is ok, famvir has an intracellular half life of 18 hrs, i dont understand how or why this is different to its half life in general which is only a few hours. I mention 250mg a day as it worked for me, i didnt notice any difference with higher doses but there has been speculation of late that higher doses maybe needed to target hhv6 in the brain???

merylg likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.