• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Which amino acids should I be careful of, based on my genetic results?

Would my DNA issues, what should I look out for when doing an "elemental diet" of sorts? I'm thinking of using an amino acid supplement formula (Pure Form 21 Blend) and a multivitamin/mineral formula (Nutrient 950). It's supposed to help with SIBO and give the digestive system a break to heal a bit.

Looking for any opinions/comments on what I should be looking out for...not wanting to feel worse, especially with any sort of methylation issues.

Thanks!

Which amino acids should I be careful of, based on my genetic results?

I'm asking because I thought I read that certain amino acids might make me feel worse, because of certain genetic issues. I'm hoping someone can guide me in the right direction...

Thanks!

Eeyore

I don't think there are any amino acids you should or should not eat based on SNP's related to methylation (at least in terms of the 20 amino acids that are part of the coding sequence of proteins in humans).

I'm not aware of any scientific studies showing that any polymorphisms in the methylation cycle should alter your amino acid balance - which is pretty hard to control anyways... Most proteins have an abundance of all the 20 amino acids.

There is some evidence that you can increase glutathione production by taking NAC (n-acetyl-cysteine) - but this is not an amino acid you'd find in protein in general. Also, the results are still mixed on this and like anything, it's not risk-free.

The substances used most commonly to alter methylation are not amino acids - mostly folic acid, methylfolate, b12, methyl-b12, b6, NAC, and TMG (which is, I suppose, a methylated form of an amino acid, but you wouldn't be able to meaningfully supplement it by altering diet).