• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Whey protein powder to address ME/CFS metabolic issues being identified by researchers - which one?

Battery Muncher

Just sipping some cranberry juice with this stuff (tastes like sick :( ) and wondering if I'm supposed to put it in food, or whether it matters. Hoping for no nasty side effects. Will report back if there are any. If there's one thing I know from experience, things that can help symptoms don't necessarily give me more ability to do physical activities beyond the usual routine. I think I'm mainly just looking for some element of symptom relief rather than widening my horizons. So, even if this does have a positive effect, I'll be assuming my physical limits are the same as always.

I think people usually mix it with something to hide its flavour.

As far as I can tell, it will not affect the efficacy as it is simply protein.

Last edited:

Ysabelle-S

Highly Vexatious
I think people usually mix it with something to hide its flavour.

dsxsxdAs far as I can tell, it will not affect the efficacy as it is simply protein.

I'm now feeling a bit full up, and the foamy nature of the drink is lingering in my mouth. In the end it was tolerable. Am now waiting to see if I turn ravenous like some others. I think it might also be a bit stimulating, which I have to be careful about since I've not been able to take even caffeine since I came down with the original virus. Head feels clear though, which is interesting but perhaps just coincidental at this point.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I just added a teaspoonful to a cold drink, which itself doesn't taste of anything (it's a mix of food supplements!). It just made it taste slightly milky.

I don't expect effects on such a dose - I'm going to build up over the next few days.

Ysabelle-S

Highly Vexatious
I just added a teaspoonful to a cold drink, which itself doesn't taste of anything (it's a mix of food supplements!). It just made it taste slightly milky.

I don't expect effects on such a dose - I'm going to build up over the next few days.

I think I tried two teaspoons. I'm definitely not taking any more today until I see how it affects sleep.

Jenny TipsforME

I have Pulsin whey powder. I use it a lot in the summer (perhaps I should have it also in the winter) in milkshake style smoothies.IMHO for us it is much better to buy the plain Pulsin style whey and add our own flavour which we know we can tolerate. I blend it with lactose free milk, and things like cacao powder, nut butter, cinnamon, and something sweet like frozen banana, d-ribose, raw honey (not all of these!). It makes it into a nutritious treat, though quite high in calories.

I take it as extra protein. I haven't noticed particular health benefits apart from a temporary energy boost. But my ME is generally better in the summer and it could be one of the complex reasons. I wasn't looking out for things like reduced PEM.

I'm fairly lactose intolerant (stabbing cramps and nasal congestion) but I can use whey powder daily without taking lactase. By the way I find lactase tablets really useful so I can eat some dairy.

On Mendus there's a Whey protein study
http://www.mendus.org/whey-protein This could be a good way to get a sense of whether it works for us as individuals and as a ME/CFS group. (Mendus is citizen science led by a neuroscientist who also has CFS).

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I had a teaspoon of the Pulsin' powder two days ago and started to develop a migraine the next day, which I managed to stop before it got underway. I had another teaspoon yesterday morning before the migraine started (my food-induced migraines usually are delayed by a day) and am only slightly headachy now. I wonder if the migraine had another trigger so

I'm having a couple of days off the powder and will try again.

If anything, I've felt more tired than usual.

Ysabelle-S

Highly Vexatious
Sorry to hear about the headaches, and the canker sores! :(

I think the whey powder might be clearing my brain a bit and giving me more energy that way. I'm not going to be stupid and start going for long walks, much as I'd like to, because any improvements I've had from supplements have not followed through to being able to engage in much physical activity beyond the house. As I said previously, I'm looking more for bringing down symptoms and giving myself more energy within my usual routine.

I can't take dairy milk, so I use soya milk instead. I've put the powder in the turmeric tea I have (half soya milk, half water, turmeric and a bit of black pepper), and also in fruit juice. I haven't had a problem with the taste since the first time.

It's the Pulsin brand. I have d-ribose, so I might add that to it too. It's still early days, of course. Might not be worth buying another pack in the end, but I got the smaller one. I think it will last a while though.

TreePerson

I had problems with the Pulsin whey causing night sweats. So far no one else has reported this and I am still confused by it. I have some organic whey concentrate which has a slightly lower protein content and is creamier so more lactose I think. Anyway I've been taking this for several days just to top up at night about 10 g. This is not giving me night sweats and I think is giving me a better sleep and slightly improved energy. But it does give me wind! It's early days but I will carry on and see what happens.

Michelle

Decennial ME/CFS patient
Just a note to those in the US, Swanson Vitamins has the Dymatize ISO Whey AND they pay for the return shipping (and give a refund) if something doesn't work. Even if it's open and you've used up half of it or whatever. So a great way to try things out. Godsend if you've got this Damn Disease and want to try something new but react badly to everything under the sun (though, I suspect they have some fine print about reserving the right to refuse to honor this if they feel you're abusing it). I send stuff back a few times a year with no problem.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
I bought a 5 lb. jar of Dymatize Nutrition ISO-100 at AllStarHealth because they had a good price and a variety of flavors - I went with Orange Dreamsicle:
http://www.allstarhealth.com/f/dymatize-iso-100.htm

Shipping took two days. All orders ship for $5.95. On my first visit to AllStarHealth, there was an online certificate for $5 which I applied to my order.

Return policy (not as great as Swanson):
If you are not satisfied with a product you purchased, you may return the unused portion for a full refund of the purchase price within 30 days of purchase. The unused portion must contain at least 25% of the original portion of the product. Unfortunately, we cannot refund the original and return shipping charges.

Kati

Patient in training
Norway is not a member of the EU. No difference if I order from the UK or the US! :) One thing that sucks is that many shops in the EU refuse to ship to Norway because they then would have to deal with export papers and so on.

I ordered from bodybuilding.com. I found a 10% coupon (PLATFORM10). Probably more money down the toilet, but why not! :D

Spent a years salary on medicines/supplements to treat this disease. The result is no improvement, and cash out the window like this:

high_cost_of_energy

Alternatively, in the case of nutritional supplements, it's cash for the toilet...

deleder2k

I ordered from Bodybuilding.com on the 31st of December. On the 3rd of January they said that it "shipped" and I received a tracking number. I tried trackin' it now, and the carrier say that they haven't picked the parcel up. So much for 10 GBP shipping from the UK. Blaah. Sometimes I wished I lived in one of the 48 lower states with 1 day shipping - but only sometimes.

I've been taking dymatize iso-100 for three years now. Seems to be helpful, and is easy to digest. I started with 1tspn, once a day, blended with 200ml rice milk, 1tspn d-ribose and 1tspn cocoa powder (ie a chocolate milkshake). Gradually increased to 3tspn, twice a day.

I can't tolerate dairy products, and had a few weeks/months where it made me nauseous, so i stopped for a few weeks and started at a lower dose, and got past the side-effects (grew the right gut bacteria ?).

Other people can't tolerate the Dymatize ISO-100, and use alternative sources (rice, peas, etc).

Attachments

• protein powder comparison.pdf
    48.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

deleder2k

I've been taking dymatize iso-100 for three years now. Seems to be helpful, and is easy to digest. I started with 1tspn, once a day, blended with 200ml rice milk, 1tspn d-ribose and 1tspn cocoa powder (ie a chocolate milkshake). Gradually increased to 3tspn, twice a day.

I can't tolerate dairy products, and had a few weeks/months where it made me nauseous, so i stopped for a few weeks and started at a lower dose, and got past the side-effects (grew the right gut bacteria ?).

Other people can't tolerate the Dymatize ISO-100, and use alternative sources (rice, peas, etc).

Did you experience more fatigue when you stopped taking it for a while?

trails

Wow! I guess I just jumped in with both feet, starting (per the container instructions) with one huge scoop (about 30g) added to 5-6 oz water. Thanks for the reply. Hope to hear from others how many drinks they are mixing up per day.

Cheesus

I just read this comment under the Health Rising article about the pyruvate study and thought you guys would be interested:

This explains again why Amino Acid testing and replacement of the low ones gave me back 80% improvement in function, especially neurologically. I was only diagnosed with FM, but have long suspected I also have ME/CFS. Interesting enough, about 10 years ago, a Rheumatologist told me autoimmune was showing up in my lab tests, but she could not pinpoint why!
I noted years ago, that if I added bread to a meal, I would lose most of my energy. What great information in this article Cort. It has answered a lot of the questions I’ve had throughout the years. For those who are interested in AMINO ACID TESTING, google: http://www.doctorsdata.com for more info. It’s only a 24 hour urine collection, but your doctor has to contact them for prior arrangements. They provide an extensive report which also includes the exact prescription that can then be filled by a compounding pharmacy. Amino Acid replacement has given me my life back! I cannot recommend it enough!!

http://www.healthrising.org/blog/20...e-syndrome-energy-problems-fluge-mella-study/