James Coyne “lays waste” to PACE trial in Edinburgh
Sasha summarises Professor James Coyne's recent no-holds-barred talk on the PACE trial and points you to the slides, video, audio and transcript.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Whey Protein Isolate - Reaction?

Discussion in 'Mast Cell Disorders/Mastocytosis' started by pun_Krawk, Jul 5, 2016.

1. pun_Krawk

pun_Krawk

Hey all,

The question: Does whey protein cause a reaction for anyone with mast cell issues or histamine intolerance?

I was diagnosed with MCAS a couple years ago, but the doctor was not helpful in teaching me how to understand my symptoms. I seem to react to almost all foods, so I kept searching for causes to my symptoms. In the end, I always seem to circle back to MCAS.

All of that said, I recently started an elemental diet to "reset" my body. There is a product called Absorb Plus that I used, and I seemed to do well at first. However, my body eventually started reacting (bloating, constipation, fatigue, foggy-headed).

This product doesn't have fat, but it does use a very high grade Whey Protein Isolate.

What do you think? Would you consider this protein safe for someone with MCAS?

Thanks!

2. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    I'm pretty sure WPI was a major contributor to a toxic psychosis I had some years ago. I attributed it to the glutathione. I can't say for sure. At that time I had no idea that gluten and histamines were making me so ill. And I had no knowledge whatsoever about MC. I now avoid all gluten and gluten cross-reactive foods, very low histamine, and use mast cell stabilizers.

Here are a couple histamine/MC info pages I was just looking at.
    http://healthypixels.com/?p=1044
    https://selfhacked.com/2014/08/01/deal-histamine/

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  3. pun_Krawk

pun_Krawk

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback and links. Even doing one serving of the Absorb Plus seems to induce bloating whereas no-protein elemental formulas do not. My body has calmed down significantly this week, as I'm back on the anti-histamines and mast cell stabilizers as well. I want to try the shake again this weekend and see how I react.

4. panckage

panckage Senior Member

Vancouver, BC
    Well the common crap isolate referred to contains soy and a quick search says this is an issue for mast cell sufferers

See more popular forum discussions.