The Real ME: A Stock Photography Resource for the Media
We’ve all seen them in the news stories about ME/CFS: the guy in a suit at the office, yawning; the beautiful woman sitting at her desk with her immaculate make-up and elegantly coiffed hair, hand to her head and looking slightly pained.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

When the Body Attacks the Mind: A physiological theory of mental illness

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Kyla, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Kyla

Kyla ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ

Canada
    http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/07/when-the-body-attacks-the-mind/485564/

excerpt:

Woolie, ahmo, Living Dead and 18 others like this.
  2. Oh FFS a lot of those doctors need struck off or incredibly serious reprimands
    Sick of this kind of stupidity from them :/

if you've ever seen someone suffer from psychotic behaviour due to low blood sugar, bladder infection etc, as they MUST surely have done or been taught about, it should be blindingly obvious that this was neurological
    and we know autoimmune syndromes that target the brain (Multiple Sclerosis for example)
    and there must be infections or toxins we cannot detect (basic fact of science and also from how much isn't understood or we could cure it)
    but there none so blind as those who WILL NOT see
    :/

Skippa, ahmo and John Mac like this.
  3. Woolie

Woolie Gone now, hope to see you all again soon somewhere

Without wanting to criticise the author (its an interesting article), can I point out that the title "When the body attacks the mind" is actually a dumb thing to say?

Most people now take the view that the mind is a product of the body's functioning in the first place (the brain particularly, but probably other body systems as well). Its likely that, due to its sheer complexity, mental function is especially vulnerable to dysfunction involving those bodily systems.

So of course, any dysfunction in the body could affect the "mind". They're not separate, they're one and the same.

Dichotohmy likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.