• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

When Methylation Gets Going

bertiedog

This week I have been able to add in just 1/4 Folapro to the 5000 mcg Transdermal B12 spray along with 25 mg P5P, and 125 mg Carnitine Fumerate. This is in addition to the 3 Thornes Basic Nutrients with the active Bs and things like Fish Oil, zinc, Vit C, D, E etc.

I was doing well without the extra Folapro and Carnitine but did have episodes of running out of energy quite badly on some days, hence me wanting to add the other supplements. It has amazed me how I react to the extra 1/4 Folapro. which I added in. Within a few hours I noticed an excellent increase in sustained energy, plus great brain activity but still a tendency later in the date to be a bit hyperactive. Taking some niacinamide does seem to calm it down.

A couple of times today I found that my energy stayed good whilst I was doing jobs on my laptop but also I would feel my nervous system feeling a bit stressed and I would feel a bit dizzy (adrenaline rush). I took a bit of betablocker and went out for a 30 minute walk with my dog and I was fine but it wasn't very pleasant at the time. The same thing happened this morning.

Today I added the Carnitine and noticed even more energy, much better muscles and brain so sharp (almost a bit too sharp at times). I find all sorts of thoughts popping into my mind its almost like my brain should actually calm down a bit. Is this reaction normal especially as I am only taking quite small amounts of the methylfolate.

Pam

Critterina

Pam,
Everybody's different and some people are very sensitive. If you keep the dosages there (or at a little less, so you don't have to use the niacin and betablocker) for a few weeks, you may notice things even out. Do you crush the 1/4 folapro and take just a little powder throughout the day? For me, spreading out dosages through the day makes a difference.

bertiedog

Thanks for you reply, no I don't crush the Folapro but take the whoe 1/4 with breakfast and it last all day but probably not all evening. However I am getting top ups with each meal cos of the Basic Nutrients where I take one with each meal. I also take the P5P at breakfast and the Carnitine.

Because I have had severe POTS in the past and also adrenals that don't work plus I have to take thyroid meds I need a very low dose of betablocker in the morning or my heart will overreact to everything. It works really well for me and I don't have side effects from them at al. What I have been more concerned about is the slightly over the top brain activity.

Pam

Helen

Hi @Pam,
Your story is similar to mine, so I would be thankful if you would tell the name and dose of your betablocker?

I think the liquid methyltetrahydrofolate from Holistichheal /Yasko is very good as it is possible to take and titrate even small doses. It is called MethylMate B and one drop is app. 67 mcg. Easy to add to other products and extra intakes.

http://www.holisticheal.com/methylmate-b-nutritional-supplement.html

Helen

Last edited:

bertiedog

Thanks for that information Helen, I will bear in mind but it does seem that I am ok with the 1/4 Folapro which is 200 mcg. I found out something really interesting yesterday. I did what Freddd said and stopped the 60 mg CoQ10 and actually I had an awful day energy wise. No energy and central nervous system was upset and unbalanced.

I have just looked up CQ10 online and can see its essential for the Krebs Cycle to function and furthermore I looked up the Metabolic Analysis I had done this year which showed I had raised metabolites which need CoQ10 to function so that explains my bad day yesterday. I probably need more Q10 and certainly not to stop it. I find it all fascinating how individually we need different things. I couldn't believe the difference in how I felt yesterday to how well I have been feeling recently and the only thing I changed was to stop the Q10 and add in L Carnitine Fuerate. Tomorrow I won't take any carnitine and will see how I feel compared with today because it is possible I don't need it and just adding more doesn't mean its helpful, I think it can actually cause a blockage.

The betablocker I take is propananol 20 mg. Every time I take it I feel better and its been like that for over 10 years now.

Good luck with it all.

Pam

Helen

Good that you could find out the reason to your low energy level yesterday @bertiedog. Rich recommended me to try Q10 (and I take 200 mg from iherb), l-carnitine fumarate, magnesium citrate and dibencozide (I prefer from Source Natural) to support Kreb´s cycle before my methylation would be going again. I hope you got some more ideas today of the effect of l-carnitine fumarate.

Thanks for the information about propanol. I have hesitated to try any betablocker, though my doctor tells that with too high pulse I will not get enough blood to my head. Now I feel secure to try propanol that I was suggested before.

All the best.

Helen