Invisible Illness Awareness Week 2016: Our Voices Need to Be Heard
Never heard of Invisible Illness Awareness Week? You're not alone. Jody Smith sheds a little light to make it more visible
Discuss the article on the Forums.

When Less is More: Cognitive Behavior Therapy vs Psychoanalysis for Bulimia

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Dolphin, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

As some people will have noticed, I'm not the biggest fan of CBT for ME/CFS. However, I thought I'd highlight this blog post as I thought it was interesting in terms of learning what one should look for when looking at trials of psychological interventions (admittedly, this might not be of interest to everybody, but perhaps a few anyway).

James C. Coyne is also an interesting blogger in general: he tends not to hold back in criticising trials, so it is interesting to see him praising a trial.

continues at: http://blogs.plos.org/mindthebrain/...e-behavior-therapy-vs-psychoanalysis-bulimia/

2. Roy S

Roy S former DC ME/CFS lobbyist

Illinois, USA

From the blog --
    "Proponents of psychoanalytic psychotherapy often question whether the randomized control trial is even appropriate for its evaluation."

Quoted in the blog from elsewhere --
    "The thesis advanced here is that the privileged status this movement accords such research as against in-depth case studies is unwarranted epistemologically and is potentially damaging both to the development of our understanding of the analytic process itself and to the quality of our clinical work. In a nonobjectivist hermeneutic paradigm best suited to psychoanalysis, the analyst embraces the existential uncertainty that accompanies the realization that there
    are multiple good ways to be, in the moment and more generally in life, and that the choices he or she makes are always influenced by culture, by sociopolitical mind-set, by personal values, by countertransference, and by other factors in ways that are never fully known."

3. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

No control group, therefore no conclusions can be drawn. What's the percentage of people that get better in this timeframe without intervention?

4. WillowJ

WillowJ คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl

WA, USA
    some of the good qualities mentioned of the trial in the OP were:

unlike some other trials we could mention. :b

Roy S and biophile like this.
  5. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

See more popular forum discussions.