Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

What's your bladder size?

Discussion in 'Gastrointestinal and Urinary' started by Sherlock, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Sherlock

Sherlock tart cherry etc. for joints, insomnia

Czechosherlockia, USA
    I can't hold much more than 200ml. Some pages I've read talk about 700ml, that seems preposterously large to me... unless my Mast Cells have injured my bladder lining and I'm now at an unusually small capacity.

What's your max capacity?

2. rosie26

rosie26 Senior Member

I had to do some measuring of liquid input an output this time last year due to an UTI and I had one recording of 530ml.
    I am sure I would have been busting with that one! Most of my readings were around 200-250ml.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
    Sherlock likes this.
  3. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

The dr who performs my ultra sounds was impressed by the size of my bladder (I think proportionally to my weight?). I think the capacity is between 200 and 300 ml.

Sherlock likes this.
  4. 5150

5150 Senior Member

In the ER where I end up far too regularly, they drained out 625 ml, from "urinary retention" due to old man Prostate blocking the exits. That eventually leads to a surgery , which i had recently. Now healing,

Once, after a surgery while in the US Forces in "67, the total was close to 700ml, but I was a kid then.

Sherlock likes this.
  5. Apple

Apple Senior Member

UK
    My absolute max (ie unbearably full,absolutely busting,about to pee myself) capacity is around 350ish, which my Uro said wasn't that bad (i'm 5'3). However, the pre and post void scan showed that I retained a 1/3 of that.

On the odd occasion that I monitor my urine output at home, I never seem to pass more than 200ml at any point. So, not that dissimilar to you. Could you be retaining? Have you been tested for that?

I noticed you mention mast cells, do you have IC ?

6. 5150

5150 Senior Member

Looking. . .
    absolutely, the poster Apple is on track. Urinary retention is a completely different problem than only not peeing. It will be an on-going problem and should be addressed right away if needed. There will be medications that must be avoided due to their inducing retention... it's a subject to be studied carefully. Otherwise, it's a dangerous game to play around with the bladder & kidneys (not that you're doing that.)

See more popular forum discussions.