• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What's the explanation for feeling hot when lying down?

It is winter where I live, but my body heats up whenever I lie down during the day or at bedtime. The thermometer showed 35.7 deg C. Sleep is compromised as I wake up several times from the heat with pounding, racing heart beats. Wonder if this is linked to
a recent condition of low stomach acid.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

jen1177

I have a similar problem when I sleep, but along with feeling hot I also feel feverish/achy/flu-like. I've taken my temp and my body temp does in fact rise but not much over the normal range. When I'm not feeling hot/flu-ish my body has a lower than normal temp.
So, I think it is due to a chronic infection of some sort (viral, bacterial, fungal) or from my autoimmune problems. Why it happens while I'm asleep, I don't know. Maybe because I sleep when I'm tired and being tired means I'm drained and maybe being drained is what leads to the hot/feverish feeling.
The heart pounding thing sounds like hyperthyroidism which can also cause increased body heat. I've had thyroid problems and I have been both hypo- and hyper-thyroid so I know what they both feel like. The feeling of heat in the body and also waking up with a pounding heart happened to me a lot when I was hyperthyroid. So, maybe you should have your thyroid levels checked.

I doubt your symptoms have anything to do with the stomach acid problem...unless you've started taking some kind of medication for the stomach condition. They could be side effects from the medication.

Those are my guesses. Hope that helps.

MEG

Zuriel
One of the first symptoms I had was a low grade fever, and feeling hot/cold at night. I just couldn't seem to get comfortable. I imagined that would be what "hot flashes" felt like, but I was not menopausal! As I have lived with ME/CFS for a decade now, I understand that what we experience is a body temperature dysregulation. For me, this has gotten less bothersome with time. But, it still happens. I am most comfortable sleeping with a lower room temperature, and the same with the room temp in the house. I must turn on the AC in summer, as much as I hate it.

I did indeed, like you, document my body temperatures. Normal was a bit low...97.0 F range, and with the fevers, between 99.8 and 100.8F (oral).

So, my best understanding is temperature dysregulation...although the nurse in me always wonders if we are indeed fighting infection. Time will tell.

hope this helps...great thread as I will be curious to hear what others experience and/or have been told by physicians.

taniaaust1

It is winter where I live, but my body heats up whenever I lie down during the day or at bedtime. The thermometer showed 35.7 deg C. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Sorry no suggestions but that definately arent no fever as that body temp is too low. It may indicate hypothyriodism.

With ME/CFS thou body temp can go down when one has over excerted. (Im not up to finding it now but there is a page which has been done by ME/CFS experts which list the things in us which go differently when we excert or after we exercise..right now Im not up to finding it to post a link but I think it may of been in the Canadian consensus doc?). Of cause when one over exerts all the other ME/CFS symptoms flare up or flare up worst including "feeling feverish".

That may be what is going on with you if your temp isnt always that low and being caused by hypothyriodism..

illsince1977

A shadow of my former self
Sleep is compromised as I wake up several times from the heat with pounding, racing heart beats. Wonder if this is linked to
a recent condition of low stomach acid.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Hot flashes?