• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

what's the deal with 23andme?

Aerose91

I went in their site to check it out and it states that they will tell you about your ancestry, not health related issues at this time.

What does this mean- Will they not tell you info about detox pathways and mutations anymore?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
There were issues with the FDA. They were not allowed to "diagnose" or something like that.

Google it and you should be able to find out what is going in. They made some announcement about it.

If they didn't tell you this prior to getting your kit, I'd ask for a refund. Or wait to see what happens with the FDA.

Aerose91

There were issues with the FDA. They were not allowed to "diagnose" or something like that.

Google it and you should be able to find out what is going in. They made some announcement about it.

If they didn't tell you this prior to getting your kit, I'd ask for a refund. Or wait to see what happens with the FDA.

I haven't bought it yet because I read that. I'm reconsidering now.

taniaaust1

I went in their site to check it out and it states that they will tell you about your ancestry, not health related issues at this time.

What does this mean- Will they not tell you info about detox pathways and mutations anymore?

23andME never gave the info on the detox pathways and methylation cycle, its always been the case of having to get ones raw DNA data from 23andME (which one still can access) and then running it into a program on whatever website you'd like, to check for the mutations in those areas.

23andME used to give the most update info on some other things based on ones DNA data.. and it is that which the 23andME has had trouble with the FDA is.. even thou in their info they did actually rate how good the research was in each area (eg giving it a 1 to a 5 star rating.. eg info they've given in an area based on studies in which big research blind studies have been done and in which also big follow up blind studies have also been done (studies like are on pubmed etc).. would be given a 5 still rating.. Where others which there has only been a little research done but the research has shown something but needing follow up studies.. used to be given a 1 star rating (so people would know there wasnt a lot of evidence for that thing yet). So that one could choose oneself on the possible revelence based on actual studies done out there (they used to also provide links to the studies they based their info on).. but obviously tha t wasnt good enough for the FDA so they are having to go throu stuff there before they can give these kinds of health reports again but the FDA allows them to continue doing as they do now

Ive heard the lab they get the tests done throu is an accreditated lab ..so I believe only issue FDA had was with their way of reporting things, possible interpretations on the raw data based on current level level of research. Obviously FDA think people are too stupid to make their own decision on the revelence of something which is only given a 1 star out of 5 for confirmation studies when we are told there isnt much research to back up yet.. anyway you can get your raw data and run it throu places yourself. I know me myself prefers to have all the info before me to make my own decisions on what studies there are... and to see the directions research is likely to head more into. Most people who have ME/CFS are used to having to check out research ourselves and make our own decisions on what we will or believe.

There stuff is generally accurate (one is given thousands of DNA thingies, bit of our DNA code or whatever its called with the raw data so it wouldnt be surprising if there was a few wrong ones there out of those thousandds of different ones if you found them). Ive never heard anyone say they have given them incorrect info in DNA results (and much of the stuff they used to share health wise can actually be checked if one went to ones own doctor and was tested eg MTHFR polymorphism.. I already knew I had that before i took 23andME test and got my raw data). All the things which came up for me in my health report risks were actually stuff I do know I have running in my family, it just confirmed I have got the genes too. Throu their DNA info.. Ive also on their website found those related to me and have been able to confirm thou my extensive family history books. Ive found people who they show as up cousins to me .on the ancestory part of their website .. back as far as 7 generations!!

I trust their info as if they were getting things wrong a lot..surely someone here or others who have take then test would of been crying "23andME" told me this and it was wrong eg they used to give up info on inherited illnesses and if you were a carrier etc (things easily followed up and check by ones doctor). Ask yourself have you ever heard anyone say 23andME got this wrong? The most wrong Ive found out of all the info I got was they told me someone was a "probable 4th cousin" and the person turned out to be my actual 6th cousin. Note they did use word "probable" or "likely". They have always carefully put things.

Last edited:
You should also be aware that 23andMe, as of late 2013, is using their new v4 chip. Instead of 967,000 SNPs included on the old v3 chip, the new v4 only has 602,000 SNPs.

There is still loads of data to look through, obviously, but some things are missing. For example, I was hoping to get a closer look at my BTD gene (biotinidase), but found out afterward that it's not included on the new chip. There are a few other genes that I've tried to look at that aren't included as well.

A little disappointing, but overall, still worth the money.

Aerose91

Damn, sounds like I missed the train a bit. Are there any alternatives out there that are of comparable price?

tdog333

23 and me is by far the best price still. It sucks that there are not as many SNPs included anymore, but most other labs charge 300+ and often only report on MTHFR.

Plus with the amount of data you get especially the MTHFR MTR MTRR BHMT CBS COMT by themselves + a ton of others you can get a great start

Aerose91

So it should be sufficient help for a methylation protocol? That's really the only reason I need it..... I think