1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Ergonomics and ME/CFS: Have You Hurt Yourself Without Knowing It?
Having a chronic illness like ME/CFS can make it hard to avoid problems that come from bad ergonomics. Jody Smith has learned some lessons the hard way ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

What's the *cause* of alpha wave sleep disorder?

Discussion in 'Sleep' started by Wendy B., Jul 14, 2014.

1. Wendy B.

Wendy B.

San Diego, California
    Can anyone comment on what we know at this point about the actual cause of *why* the alpha wave is going on for many of us? I've got an horrific case of it...sleep doc said worse he'd seen. It was bad to begin with, made worse by the treatment: benzodiazepines (mostly Ativan). I'm off benzos almost four years now and sleep still is not recovered. I'm on groups online for those who've had long term consequences from benzos (post withdrawal syndromes)...Best thing is time off the med to heal. But just trying to figure out if my brain will ever go back to normal and if part of it is the cfs sleep prob to begin with (and not just the ativan damage)...what I can do to fix myself. There seems no lack of google entries on alpha delta sleep etc, but i see little discussing the cause of the alpha wave intrusion to begin wtih. Anyone have info?

Thanks!
    Wayne likes this.
  2. Iquitos

Iquitos Senior Member

Colorado
    I don't have any information on the why of it but I've suffered from it for over 30 years now.

But I have found a lot of relief by using medical cannabis. I'm even having dreams again, although I don't usually remember them. I know because there's that fleeting remembrance of a dream when I'm awakened by the urge to urinate or some noise wakes me.

I don't appreciate the side effects: some dizzyness right after I take my cannabis tincture, and the "marijuana munchies" contributing to weight gain. But getting better sleep is SO worth it.
    Wayne likes this.
  3. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    Hi @Wendy B.,

I've had good success with Alpha-Stim (Cranial Electrical Stimulation). Don't know if it would be applicable to your situation, but I would give them a call and discuss it with them. They might possibly may be familiar with your kind of situation. -- Good luck...
  4. Wendy B.

Wendy B.

San Diego, California
    Alpha stim increases alpha wave right? How does that help? arent we trying to get rid of alpha? i did do neuro training but it didnt help.
  5. Barrie

Barrie

20 years of this problem and still going, what I'd give for a proper nights sleep!
  6. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    I'm not sure anyone knows--and my sleep doc didn't, either. Maybe pain? Upper airway resistance has been suggested as contributing to sleep problems, as has reduced heart rate variability.

Oddly we also have intrusive delta waves during the day, so maybe none of those.
    Sushi likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.