• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What's helped your restless leg?

Ocean

I've noticed my sleep and restless leg issue go hand in hand, if one is good so is the other and vice versa. For a while I'd stopped taking a multivitamin with iron and I'm wondering if that is what caused my restless leg to worsen. It had been okay for a while before that. Any other things that help people with this? I"m taking magnesium and adding the iron back. I've also had a lot of bruising lately, so again I wonder if it's the iron or maybe potassium too? I appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks.

ETA: For those who take potassium, is there a certain brand supplement you like?

maddietod

I have to take 600mg/day of magnesium (divided into 3 doses), which is to my bowel tolerance. But it works for me.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Hi Ocean, my restless leg was completely cured by magnesium 300mg food grade a day. It tooka couple of months though. Ive also noticed recently that my bruising that ive had for years has also reduced. I am also taking iron for low ferritin. I dont take potassium.
All the best, Justy.

Ocean

Wow, I wonder why I'm so sensitive to magnesium. I couldn't handle even less than 25-30 mg a day. It's amazing to me that others can handle 600 mg. Now I am using the spray and hoping it will start helping. Thanks Madietodd and Justy for the feedback, it could definitely be magnesium that's the problem for me. I had to stop even the little I was taking because I couldn't handle the stomach issues anymore so I went a good month or more without taking any until I got my magnesium oil, so that is probably the culprit. I hope it starts have effect soon. Thank you both for the replies!

maddietod

I found out recently that even with this amount of magnesium daily for a year, I'm deficient. I suspect that our chemistry is different!

I hope you figure this out soon.

Madie

merylg

Neurontin (Gabapentin) at only 100mg taken at night, helps me get deeper sleep, with muscle relaxation.

Independently of that, 900 mg/day elemental Magnesium helps me with muscle relaxation & mood.
(taken as three divided smaller doses)

JT1024

I've had muscle spasms at night periodically.

I've taken Magnesium Malate as a supplement as needed. Given the number of supplements I take, I don't always take everything I should.

I had trouble sleeping, my first line of treatment was supplements: Magnesium and Calciu.m I learned I was deficient in Potassium (K). It is not only important in muscular health but also in neurologic among other things. When I've horrible times sleeping and Mg and Ca have not worked, the potassioum (K) has worked incredibly well.

When seeking sources of potassium (K) in the middle of the night, bananas are once source but yogurt is another. If my bananas look like they're ready for the trash, I'll go to yogurt and i works quickly.

Ocean

Thanks everyone. I will try increasing my magnesium and see if it helps. Maybe I will try some potassium also since I read it can affect bruising and RLS.

Ocean

I just wanted to report back that I've been doing the magnesium spray and it's making a big difference! Thanks to everyone for sharing your experiences and suggestions.

hurtingallthetimet

neurontin worked for me also...but it got to where i needed something more for pain...and i couldnt afford another medication plus the neurontin...so the doctor switched it to another pain medication viciodin it helps with the restless legs also...but i think the neurontin did a little better job..but though i still have some discomfort with restless legs the vicodin hleps with it and the over all pain too...