• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What's a good blood pressure monitor?

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
I have the earlier version of this BP monitor (Omron HEM-780) which I have had for 7 or 8 years and it still works very well. My brother has a wrist version of an Omron (also at least 5 - 6 years old), but I'm not sure of the model number. His wrist monitor seems to be fairly accurate, but somewhat sensitive to arm position (Systolic and/or Diastolic will vary up to 10 points either way when arm is repositioned). My arm band is very stable and has a good bit of memory, checks for heartbeat irregularities.

http://www.amazon.com/Omron-BP785N-Series-Pressure-Monitor/dp/B00KPQB2SS/ref=dp_ob_title_hpc

The technology has become so good that I think that any of them as long as they are built out of decent quality material will work fine. I'm pretty sure Omron and some of the other name brand are in fact "private labeling" them for retailers such as Walmart, Walgreens, CVS and etc.......

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
His wrist monitor seems to be fairly accurate, but somewhat sensitive to arm position (Systolic and/or Diastolic will vary up to 10 points either way when arm is repositioned).
My doc had me place my wrist over my heart. The ease and comfort of this would be a big factor for me. I might get one and compare the reading with my arm model and return it if it isn't as accurate.

Sushi

My Omron finally died after 6-7 years, so I'm looking for a new BP monitor. But I'm looking for something which can handle my pulse pressure even when it gets down under 20. Usually the Omron just gives error messages when that happens.

I've seen a "double cuff" design being mentioned as more accurate with hypotension and a weak pulse. Basically the normal cuff just inflates, and the smaller cuff only detects the heart beats. The first Q&A of a manufacturer FAQ makes the claim, anyhow, at https://www.terumomedical.com/ElemanoFAQ.aspx

Has anyone tried such products, or know of any others that are supposed to be good with low blood pressure or low pulse pressure?

BadBadBear

Hi Valentijn, did you ever find a good BP machine for low pulse pressure? I'm having some sodium gnarliness and need to find a machine that won't err out on my low pulse pressure.

Hi Valentijn, did you ever find a good BP machine for low pulse pressure? I'm having some sodium gnarliness and need to find a machine that won't err out on my low pulse pressure.
Nope. It looked like there used to be one, but it isn't manufactured anymore. My best estimate when in "ERROR" mode due to low pulse pressure is to see how many points it drops per heartbeat. 4 is pretty decent for me (and will give a proper reading), 3 is my normal (maybe a reading, maybe an error), and 2 recently when having a pretty bad flare-up.