Fluge & Mella's pre-trial study highlights life-changing potential of rituximab
Sasha gives the background and Simon gives the interpretation of the latest study from Haukeland, published today...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Whatever happened to... research on SITH-1 protein made by HHV-6 in ME/CFS patients

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by Hip, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Whatever happened to... the new research on SITH-1 protein made by HHV-6?

SITH-1 protein was found in many ME/CFS patients, but not at all in healthy controls. Cort's article of May 2008 on this SITH-1 protein is here.

Dr Kazuhiro Kondo discovered this new SITH-1 protein made by HHV-6, and his work indicates that SITH-1 may cause the psychological symptoms (mood disorders) of ME/CFS, major depression, and bipolar disorder. SITH-1 significantly up-regulates intracellular calcium levels. Increase of calcium level in the brain tissue is generally considered the most important cause of psychological disorders.

Kondo thinks that this disruptive SITH-1 protein is created under a special type of HHV-6 latency. Kondo's hypothesis is that HHV-6 has at least three forms of latency:

Latency type I in healthy adults, where the virus is under control.
    Latency type II restricted reactivation (in astrocytes) is when SITH-1 is made and causes ME/CFS?
    Latency type III the normal virus reactivation.

Kondo's hypothesis is that the restricted form of HHV-6 latency (latency type II) leads to ME/CFS.

I have had a good look round online, but have not found all that many updates on this seemingly very significant research by Dr Kondo. Here's all I found:

March 2010, a patent was filed:
    September 2010, Dr Kazuhiro Kondo gave a presentation in Japan:
    Identification of a novel HHV-6 latent-protein associated with CFS and mood disorders.

This line of inquiry into SITH-1 seem to be fairly low key, in spite of its apparent groundbreaking implications.

Some more info on SITH-1:

See more popular forum discussions.