1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Whatever happened to... research on SITH-1 protein made by HHV-6 in ME/CFS patients

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by Hip, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Whatever happened to... the new research on SITH-1 protein made by HHV-6?

SITH-1 protein was found in many ME/CFS patients, but not at all in healthy controls. Cort's article of May 2008 on this SITH-1 protein is here.

Dr Kazuhiro Kondo discovered this new SITH-1 protein made by HHV-6, and his work indicates that SITH-1 may cause the psychological symptoms (mood disorders) of ME/CFS, major depression, and bipolar disorder. SITH-1 significantly up-regulates intracellular calcium levels. Increase of calcium level in the brain tissue is generally considered the most important cause of psychological disorders.

Kondo thinks that this disruptive SITH-1 protein is created under a special type of HHV-6 latency. Kondo's hypothesis is that HHV-6 has at least three forms of latency:

Latency type I in healthy adults, where the virus is under control.
    Latency type II restricted reactivation (in astrocytes) is when SITH-1 is made and causes ME/CFS?
    Latency type III the normal virus reactivation.

Kondo's hypothesis is that the restricted form of HHV-6 latency (latency type II) leads to ME/CFS.

I have had a good look round online, but have not found all that many updates on this seemingly very significant research by Dr Kondo. Here's all I found:

March 2010, a patent was filed:
    METHOD FOR DETECTING ANTIBODY AGAINST SITH-1 IN BIOLOGICAL SAMPLE.
    September 2010, Dr Kazuhiro Kondo gave a presentation in Japan:
    Identification of a novel HHV-6 latent-protein associated with CFS and mood disorders.

This line of inquiry into SITH-1 seem to be fairly low key, in spite of its apparent groundbreaking implications.

Some more info on SITH-1:

See more popular forum discussions.