The power and pitfalls of omics part 2: epigenomics, transcriptomics and ME/CFS
Simon McGrath concludes his blog about the remarkable Prof George Davey Smith's smart ideas for understanding diseases, which may soon be applied to ME/CFS.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

What upcoming research are we awaiting?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by SOC, Nov 11, 2015.

1. SOC

SOC

I am sick to death of the politics and misery surrounding PACE and it's associated ugliness (on so many levels), although I'm thrilled to see some progress being made, mostly thanks to David Tuller. I need a change of view for a bit. I'm hoping someone can give me a lift by reminding me of any biomedical research we are expecting to see published in the next 6 months or so. Surely there's good stuff going on somewhere. :) I know there's great ongoing research like the Rituximab work in Norway, but is there anything almost ready to be published? A little something to look forward to in the near term?

Keela Too, Jennifer J, mango and 12 others like this.
  2. RL_sparky

RL_sparky Senior Member

California
    Jose Montoya at Stanford has a number of projects that are working towards publishing. I'm not sure will see any of them in the next six months though. The below update is from there June newsletter.

High Throughput Sequencing/Pathogen Discovery: Through our continued partnership with Holden Maecker
    PhD at Stanford and W. Ian Lipkin MD and Mady Hornig MA, MD at Columbia University, our effort of
    looking for pathogens present or abundant in ME/CFS patients has yielded exciting results. We are in the
    process of preparing a manuscript for submission to a peer-reviewed journal.

Gene Expression and Immune System Dynamics-Gene Expression: In order to understand the immune
    response and possible immune dysfunction observed in our ME/CFS patients, we are collaborating closely with
    Mark Davis PhD at Human Immune Monitoring Core facility at Stanford, and with Holden Maecker PhD. We
    are in the process of finalizing analysis of samples and plan on submitting a manuscript shortly.

Cardiovascular Health in ME/CFS patients: Our study in collaboration with Francois Haddad MD and Mehdi
    Skhiri MD of evaluating cardiovascular aging in ME/CFS patients has concluded with the recruitment and
    analysis of samples. Even though their work revealed that the heart is highly unlikely to be affected by
    ME/CFS, Drs. Haddad and Skhiri are now looking at endothelial function and cytokine levels before and after
    physical exercise. The manuscripts are currently in preparation for publication.

Cognitive Impairment Study in ME/CFS patients: Marcie Zinn PhD, Mark Zinn MM, and José R. Maldonado
    MD at Stanford University led a study utilizing electroencephalography (EEG) to yield objective measurements
    for evaluating cognitive impairments in ME/CFS patients. The manuscript is currently in review for
    publication.

Subgrouping Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Patients by Genetic and Immune Profiling: This is an ongoing
    Department of Defense (DoD) grant, which aims to explore the immune responses of ME/CFS patients and how
    they differ to healthy controls. We are also analyzing human leukocyte antigen (HLA) types in ME/CFS
    patients, responsible for the regulation of the immune system. We are currently finalizing analysis and will
    start preparing manuscript shortly.
    http://med.stanford.edu/content/dam/sm/chronicfatigue/documents/MECFSNewsletter_Spring_2015.pdf

Art Vandelay, Keela Too, zzz and 17 others like this.
  3. SB_1108

SB_1108 Senior Member

I'M SO EXCITED!!!! I can't wait! :D:D:D:D:D

4. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    It's abit like a kid waiting for Christmas , you open the present and it's a coffee mug with hard boiled lollies from a distant uncle. We want the dam bike for Christmas not the mug of lollies.
    ;)

Keela Too, Ritto, Jennifer J and 7 others like this.
  5. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
  6. Marky90

Marky90 Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance

The cyclo trials will be done in 2017

SOC and RL_sparky like this.
  7. msf

msf Senior Member

KDM and his group (boo, boo, yay, yay) haven´t published anything for a while.

8. RL_sparky

RL_sparky Senior Member

California
    From the IIME July 2015 Newsletter:

"The IiME funded project started with a preliminary B-Cell study performed by UCL and a presentation on this was given at the Invest in ME May Colloquium and Conference. A paper has been submitted for publication".

9. SB_1108

SB_1108 Senior Member

10. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member

Back when the CII published the plasma cytokine results in February 2015, the article on Columbia's website said this...

I could be wrong, but it sounds like they're hoping to "capture" the fall in cytokine levels by frequently checking the levels in individual patients who have been ill for close to three years, but who still have the elevated levels seen in the initial years of the disease.

[Thanks to @M Paine for recalling this article on another thread.]

M Paine, SB_1108, SOC and 1 other person like this.
  11. RL_sparky

RL_sparky Senior Member

California
    Jennifer J and SB_1108 like this.

See more popular forum discussions.