Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

What Types of Fatigue Do I Experience Poll

Discussion in 'Post-Exertional Malaise, Fatigue, and Crashes' started by Cort, Mar 6, 2010.

?

What Types of Fatigue Do I Commonly Experience?

1. Post-exertional Malaise - Symptoms increase significantly after relatively mild amounts of lexertion

479 vote(s)
    85.2%
  2. Brain Fog - I experience significant difficulty concentrating, speaking with ease, etc.

463 vote(s)
    82.4%
  3. Wired But Tired - Feelings of low energy along with a sense my system will not calm down

392 vote(s)
    69.8%
  4. Molasses Fatigue - Feelings of heaviness in the limbs are common

354 vote(s)
    63.0%
  5. Flu-like Fatigue - flu-like feelings accompanied with fatigue are common

359 vote(s)
    63.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jann1033

jann1033 Senior Member

Yep, thats what they said when i took Physical therapy and collapsed into a chair with my entire body shaking after 100 paces lol(i was trying for 150 so i could get to my apartment from the car, didn't work ;).

Mij likes this.
  2. Mij

Mij Senior Member

@jann1033 no kidding I've experienced that too. I remember when I was out and only had 1/2 block to walk to get home, my legs were shaky, I was feeling out of breath and just couldn't take another step. Had to sit on someone's lawn until I could get up again.

Webdog and alkt like this.
  3. jann1033

jann1033 Senior Member

Lol the indignities of this illness!
    I really think all the therapists thought i was going to collapse then and there, i wasnt so sure my self i wasnt lol. I had it happen to a lesser degree early on in the illness so i knew i just needed to lay down asap. Its always funny to me to see medical personal go from the " you are exaggerating things" to "holy crap, she's not!" in a matter of seconds. Can't say i didn't warn them(insert fiendish laugh here)

alkt, Mel9 and roxie60 like this.
  4. Mij

Mij Senior Member

@jann1033 lol the indignities of this illness! you're lucky you can drive, try telling a cab driver to drive you 2 blocks and see how he reacts :rolleyes:

alkt, Hanna and roxie60 like this.
  5. roxie60

roxie60 Senior Member

Central Illinois, USA
    That is a perfect description....RLOS without warning.

slysaint, Webdog, alkt and 1 other person like this.
  6. roxie60

roxie60 Senior Member

Central Illinois, USA
    @Lee Ann. Would like to know if you got the I gene test and what your results were.

7. lauluce

lauluce as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope

argentina
    I feel every single one of them :(

8. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

I don't seem to get brain fog either, @serenity. Often I feel so ill and have such a headache that I can't bear to think hard bout anything. But it doesn't seem to resemble the brain fog everyone else talks about.

I've always been puzzled by that difference too.

9. lauluce

lauluce as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope

argentina
    Interesting. My capacity to think, take decisions and solve problems fluctuates over the ours, days and weeks, sometimes I even feel "confused". An extenuating physical activity worsens this symptom considerably

Webdog likes this.
  10. Dr.Patient

Dr.Patient There is no kinship like the one we share!

USA
    I looked at the poll choices, and my most severe problem is unbearable, crying, wanting to die type of fatigue/weakness.

Other symptoms like brain fog, sleep, headache, muscle pains, are there, sometimes, but not as bad. This unrelenting fatigue is killing me.

Are there others here like me?

lauluce likes this.
  11. LifeIsSweet

LifeIsSweet

for me it is the feeling of a horrible head flu that never goes away. that, along with CRUSHING fatigue and a very distinct leaden feeling. just walking to the kitchen is an ordeal, or sitting up. man, i just don't know how to simply get through the day. one moment at a time i guess.

12. LifeIsSweet

LifeIsSweet

absolutely!! the "fatigue" is agony.

13. Joel1970

Joel1970

Wow this was 6 years ago but I am replying anyway just in case lol. This is one of my biggest complaints because people think I am annoyed. They always ask me what I am upset about when I do the big sigh thing because I feel like I am it getting any oxygen. In fact when I see shows where people are running out of air they start to sweat, can't move from fatigue, sweat profusely and get dizzy. Finally they pass out and then die. I can't help but think we all go through a lot of those things.

ahimsa likes this.
  14. Joel1970

Joel1970

Yes I really feel like oxygen is huge.

15. Joel1970

Joel1970

Tit for tat, it's all crap! Haha I like it.

16. tinacarroll27

tinacarroll27 Senior Member

UK
    For me Post-exertional Malaise is the worst, the slightest exertion and I feel myself getting worse. The brain fog I can live with, some days it is worse than other and especially if I don't get enough sleep but it is not the worse symptom. I don't feel like I have the flu all the time. I had the flu once but I feel that has gone. I have problems regulating my temperature but I doesn't feel like the flu and I do have muscle pain but again it doesn't feel like the flu. I never get Wired But Tired but I have the Feelings of heaviness in the limbs but I do have POTs and I think that causes that feeling, especially since it is accompanied by an increase in heart rate.

17. frog_in_the_fog

frog_in_the_fog Test Subject

California
    All of the above, most of the time lately...

18. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member

Amsterdam
    I checked all of them.

19. chiluvr1228

chiluvr1228

The sudden, out of nowhere exhaustion that sometimes hits me is so frustrating. When it happens I need to get home and lay down as fast as I can. Unfortunately I can rarely get a good night's sleep so I am constantly sleepy. For some reason I can usually fall asleep quickly because I am so tired but if I wake to use the bathroom I sometimes have a hard time falling back to sleep. In addition I found myself waking up earlier and earlier in the morning without being able to go back to sleep.

Once I quit working I was sleeping later and later. Now I'm waking up between 6:00 and 6:30 so I'm going to bed earlier and earlier. Unfortunately it is never restorative sleep :-(

20. Cog71

Cog71

Los Angeles
    Third this! Kind of glad to hear it really. But only because on occasion, which I've told various doctors this, they've decided I couldn't possibly have CFS/ME/FMS because they'd never seen anyone with the condition who didn't also have brain-fog. Which has led to endless hours of lying in bed wondering if maybe I do have it but am just not aware of it. So I asked the hub and he said 'No. Groaning, huffing, puffing, weeping, wincing, canceling things, suddenly having to lie down, pacing the floors at 4am, fits of anger against the world yes, but nothing noticeably different in the brain department.' Maybe it's one of the symptoms I have to look forward to. Yippee.

*GG* likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.