• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What treatments HAVE ACTUALLY helped?

Forbin

I've posted this on other threads several times before, so I hope I'm not becoming a bore, but...

I became ill the spring of 1983. After three-and-a-half years enduring a variety of classic CFS symptoms, I began to experience significant improve between 1-2 months after I began a trial of oral Nystatin for the possible "overgrowth" of the yeast candida albicans in the digestive tract.

I don't know if my improvement was merely coincidental with my taking Nystatin (some people do go into unexplained remission), but I doubt it. I had tried other treatments without success, so I also doubt a Nystatin "placebo effect."

Treating candida seems to be helpful in only a small minority of CFS patients. I don't know why. My guess is that, in some people, candida is placing a significant stress on the immune system (quite likely because XMRV has already weakened the immune system). Remove the additional stress caused by candida, and a small minority of patients may slip into remission, possibly because they do not have other significant co-infections.

My guess is that, once you become ill, anything that chronically stimulates the immune system helps to worsen and perpetuate the symptoms.

I wrote more extensively about this in my first post (see link below)...

http://www.forums.aboutmecfs.org/showthread.php?4542-My-Story-Successful-Treatment-of-Candida