1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
California 2014: IACFS/ME Day Two: Translating Science into Clinical Care: 21 March 2014
Searcher kicks us off on Day Two, with an autoimmunity overview, then we are into immunology and cytokines, we hear from Susan Levine and the allergy-related signatures study done with Lipkin et. al, a talk about paravirus B-19, Mady Hornig from CFI with more research, John Chia who...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

What treatments HAVE ACTUALLY helped?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by keenly, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Forbin

Forbin Forbin

I've posted this on other threads several times before, so I hope I'm not becoming a bore, but...

I became ill the spring of 1983. After three-and-a-half years enduring a variety of classic CFS symptoms, I began to experience significant improve between 1-2 months after I began a trial of oral Nystatin for the possible "overgrowth" of the yeast candida albicans in the digestive tract.

I don't know if my improvement was merely coincidental with my taking Nystatin (some people do go into unexplained remission), but I doubt it. I had tried other treatments without success, so I also doubt a Nystatin "placebo effect."

Treating candida seems to be helpful in only a small minority of CFS patients. I don't know why. My guess is that, in some people, candida is placing a significant stress on the immune system (quite likely because XMRV has already weakened the immune system). Remove the additional stress caused by candida, and a small minority of patients may slip into remission, possibly because they do not have other significant co-infections.

My guess is that, once you become ill, anything that chronically stimulates the immune system helps to worsen and perpetuate the symptoms.

I wrote more extensively about this in my first post (see link below)...

http://www.forums.aboutmecfs.org/showthread.php?4542-My-Story-Successful-Treatment-of-Candida

See more popular forum discussions.