• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What to take for an Excitotory Brain?

Silence

Hi all. I am currently dealing with symptoms that make me feel like my brain is fried or on fire. I think it might be due to glutamate overload, as i cant even eat anything with glutamates in them, like proteins. And if i do, i experience really loud ringing, severe brain fog, weakness, heart palpitations, panic attacks,and auditory and olfactory hallucinations.

These symptoms used to be controlled with LDN, but ever since the ldn exacerbated my chronic yeast problems i had to stop.

My twin brother takes Benzos for these same exact symtpms related to his cfs, and it helps him quite a bit.He has asked me on numerous occassions to consider taking them, But after reading about tollerance and withdrawal issues ive decided to keep benzos as a last resort.

I'd like to ask - Besides Benzos what other meds or supplements can work just as effectively? what has worked for you to keep you sane and brain-healthy.

I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

helen1

@Silence, what works best for me for diminishing excitotoxicity is magnesium. I've tried various types and citrate seems best for me for reducing twitches and tired but wired feelings. GABA used to help but no longer does. Theanine works somewhat and helps with sleep.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Silence - l-theanine and niacin are calming. l-theanine crosses the blood -brain barrier and helps the brain produce GABA and niacin stimulates the GABA receptors.

I believe that plain GABA does not cross the blood-brain barrier, though there are GABA receptors in the gut, so it can help some.

JES

The anti-anxiety protocol in this thread is quite popular on this forum. Magensium might work better if you want to directly calm the excitotoxicity - it works for me - but the other supplements mentioned on the linked thread are often needed as well.

Silence

Thank you for your suggestions. Ive tried magnesium in the past but my gut couldnt tolerate it. Is there such a thing as transdermal magnesium?

caledonia

PharmaGABA (crosses blood brain barrier), L-theanine, magnesium (magnesium oil to bypass the gut) and Professional Health Products Neuromedulla Complex.
http://www.integrativepsychiatry.net/neuro_medulla_complex.html

The last one really saved me when I was going through bad SSRI withdrawal - helped reduce extreme sound sensitivity and more. I think it would be helpful for the auditory and olfactory hallucinations.

A benzo such as clonazepam works on GABA, so that is the med that would be helpful. I was taking that too during withdrawal. It is very addictive and ironically the benzos can cause more anxiety as they withdraw out of your system. However, if your twin brother is doing ok with it, you'll probably be ok too. It took me 4-6 months to taper back off of it.

ahmo

GABA worked well for me. Also glycine. Some believe GABA gets to brain when there's a leaky blood brain barrier. Maybe that's why it worked so well for me at that time.

Silence

Tried magnesium oil for couple days and didnt do too well. I experienced like a restless leg feeling, but in my whole body which caused me insomnia too. sigh. On to the next thing on the list.

Aerose91

Please don't jump into benzos unless it's a last resort, benzo withdrawal ruined my life.

Theanine has always been the best for me because it crosses the BBB and builds up GABA. For many, GABA either gives a paradoxial effect (anxiety) or nothing at all. There are the few that it works for though.

Glycine may add to the effect of theanine. Have you possibly considered an epsom salt bath? If you're having trouble with injesting magnesium the bath may help, always helps to relax me a little

Seven7

Seven
My brain fire goes away for me with ALA+ acetyl l cartinine.

It comes all in one capsule (200mg/500mg). If I do not take I feel burning in spine and head.

Aerose91

How long were you on the benzos and did you recover or like you are you still in bad shape?

Hope overall your soing better.
I was only on ativan for 10 days. I started reacting very badly to them so they took me off cold turkey, thinking it was safe to do so. Bad idea. I went into severe protracted withdrawal.
Its been about 4 years now and im mostly recovered. There are still some issues now and again, some of which i feel will be with me for life but its nothing like the 7th circle of hell that it was in the beginning

prioris

Take Taurine and Magtein on empty stomach and separate. It would be superior to GABA or anything above. Magnesium oil doesn't absorb into brain like Magtein.