• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What supplements are best?

I have been taking B-12, Magnesium, Zinc Vitamin D but want to add supplements for more energy. I am thinking CoQ10, NADH, Selenium, D-Ribose. Any suggestions or thoughts?

niall

I have been taking B-12, Magnesium, Zinc Vitamin D but want to add supplements for more energy. I am thinking CoQ10, NADH, Selenium, D-Ribose. Any suggestions or thoughts?

Nova's Neuroimmune Institute (Rey/Klimas) are asking their patients to start taking K-PAX Immune Formula (not the energy formula). One nurse practitioner stated to me that they have had encouraging results with this product.
Website is: kpaxpharm.com Phone: 1-877-777-KPAX

Apple

I've definitely noticed a little improvement on 300mg of CoQ10 (200mg didn't do much), but you should take it first thing in the morning otherwise it can take me a long time to fall asleep. I already severe insomnia atm, so haven't been able to take it daily as I usually wake up too late. But I really wish I could. I highly recommend it! Someone I know takes 500mg and has had noticeable improvements.

I personally can't tolerate d-ribose as it's a sugar, and my gut hates anything sugar based but i've heard good things about it.

Another one worth looking into is l-carnitine. I haven't tried it yet due to how bad my sleep is right now, but i've heard people say that it really helps.

Good luck!

Mary

Moderator Resource

First, as I'm sure you know, we are all different, and what helps one person may not work for or may actually hurt another. Having said that, here's what's helped me with energy: d-ribose (two 5-gram servings a day), methylfolate and methylcobalamin, vitamin B-6 (P-5-P), potassium.

Years ago l-carnitine gave me a great energy boost (2,000 mg. a day) which lasted for about a week. Some have better luck with carnitine fumarate. I've taken some form of l-carnitine ever since, but it's never given me that boost again but some people swear by it.

I also took NADH 12 years ago - I had to take 20 mg. on an empty stomach but it gave me a great boost, which lasted about 10 days. I kept trying it, and then off and on for a couple of years thereafter, but never had that result again.

Also, B-1 perked me up, and then dropped me down after a couple of days, I don't know why, could not figure it out.

Co-Q10 has never seemed to do anything for me, but I've read about it helping lots of others.

Also malic acid was helpful at one time, and then stopped being helpful, but worth a try.

I strongly recommend you try one thing at a time so you will know what is doing what to you - good luck!

Hilary

I've found Martin Pall's regime of supplements quite helpful - I've been on them for several years, stopped them for a few months last year, relapsed and so restarted them which seemed to help me up to a point but it's limited (they seem to stop me feeling so ill but don't really give me much/any more energy) and I'm scouting around for something else to try. They include 75mg of CoQ10 but that sounds pretty minimal compared with levels that seem to be really helpful to people on here. Does anyone have any UK available recommendations for well absorbed, high dose CoQ10?

I find it so difficult to decide what to do/try and get really confused by the scientific stuff (I used to have a brain once:confused:). I've had this wretched illness over twenty years but so many times it feels like starting over again... back to the drawing board etc...

H