Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

What Should Doctors Do When They Don't Know What to Do Allen Frances

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Cheshire, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Cheshire

Cheshire Senior Member

Short but valuable article about uncertainty in medicine.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/allen-frances/helping-doctors-and-patie_b_3457682.html

The best thing I was told since being ill was "I don't know what you have".

Simon, alex3619, Sean and 9 others like this.
  2. Hurray!
    as I've said repeatedly: I love Science, but the reality is, we know almost *nothing*
    we have had a "technological scientific world" for only two and a half centuries.
    Humans are the result of 4 billion years of evolution, and we and the living world around us, is STILL changing!
    We have scraped only the very surface layer of the Universe we live in,
    no Human has even set foot on another world (technically the moon is a satellite of Earth not a true planet)
    The Moon is as far as Human Beings have reached
    our robotic probes are just now, reaching the edge of our solar system
    the vast majority of our planet us unexplored (oceans, underground)

So we really don't know very much
    alas many people DO treat Science as a "religion", they DO!
    And that is a very dangerous thing.
    There are *no certainties* in Science, only probabilities based on best current data.
    But listen and watch how folk like our "psych" enemies behave (and yes they are enemies)
    Medical Science is their "god", their religion, THEY know THEY are absolutely right...
    they put on a song and dance, they please their masters who have the reigns of power by saying things that divert dissent

And many doctors fall in this crap too.
    some of it of course is honest concern of a doctor who is still a decent genuine PHYSICIAN, and not wanting to cause distress to a patient
    But far more commonly, it's really about a "priest" who cannot say that his religion doesn't know something!

3. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

This is a really interesting article, @Cheshire. Thanks for posting!

Simon and Cheshire like this.
  4. Sean

Sean Senior Member

All I have ever asked is that doctors understand, admit, and stay within the limits of their knowledge. But even that is too much to ask, apparently.

I am a huge fan of modern science based medicine. It is one of the greatest achievements of the human race.

I just wish there was more of it. :rolleyes:

5. daisybell

daisybell Senior Member

New Zealand

See more popular forum discussions.